Digestion

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. Does anyone else feel like food just sits high up in their stomach and takes hours to go down ? I can't eat the ' normal ' meals I used to and do better with smaller amounts. Otherwise I feel and look bloated for hours, it's horrible. Anyone else ? X

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi fairy28, its call bloating in menopause my stomach looks pregnant after eating and sometimes had to eat small meals too, it does go and come I think mine now has settle down a bit not so bloated now yes it's horrible it will settle with time ok hugsxxx 

• Posted

Hi Maria 101, thanks for reply. Gosh isn't it awful, I feel like I can't breathe if I eat too much it's so uncomfortable and feel like a great big lump just sitting there and hours later it feels better, eventually. Uugghh , have to be so careful with what I eat now. Gone are the days of enjoying fish and chips or a nice piece of cake ! How boring this all is ! Xx

• Posted

Are you from the UK...I had haddock and chips today haha love my food 
    • Posted

Yes im in the UK and the fish and chips is dorset are yum! Shame I can't move for hours and hours if I have any ! The nearest I'll get to fish n chips is a single prawn ! he he x

• Posted

Hi Fairy,

I get this too...As a matter of fact today is one of those days. Have been struggling with my worst peri/menopause symptoms these past three years. It seems like the symptoms are decreasing a bit now. I was diagnosed with chronic gastritis last March after an endoscopy and at this point am taking ranitidine 150mg twice a day. The past few weeks have been good but today I am having a bad hormone day. I too get that bloated and full feeling like the food is just sitting on the top of my stomach and by evening I look like I'm six months pregnant! I can only eat small amounts at a time and my whole stomach/chest area just feels full and like I need to take deep breaths to relieve it. I know it's nothing serious because I've been tested fully...thanks to my health anxiety..Lol. It's just uncomfortable and frustrating.

My mantra is "This too shall pass". Hang in there!

• Posted

thank you - wonderful answer, you explained that really well as that's exactly how I am. Yes I have to do the deep breath thing, it's horrid and like you I have awful health anxiety, so bad I have counselling and also have been back and forth to hospital for checks, heart attack symptoms and so on - all down to anxiety but this is real and so is the anxiety , all since this dreaded menopause began. Sorry you've been through so much I think you're very brave having an endoscopy, that would totally freak me out, they'd have to strap me down kicking and screaming to have that done ! X

• Posted

Hi Fairy28

I sure do! It's the most horrible feeling! I find myself holding

my stomach because I feel so uncomfortable 😣!

• Posted

oh Maureen poor you Thats exactly what I do honestly, the top of my stomach feel like a great big horrid lump, after about five or six hours it goes down, it's sooooooo uncomfortable x

• Posted

hi long time we havent chatted, how are u? do u still come on this board? i do at times, hows everything going? hows ur anxiety? mines calmed down a bit, a sympton here and there, how are you yourself? XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.