Digestion issues post op did it get better?

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I'm am day 6 after my Gallbladder removal. I had sludge and many small stones some of which where outside my GB. Wall hardening and inflammation. My main symptom was nausea and inability to eat before the surgery.

My nausea is gone, but my digestion is taking time to become more normal. My appetite was back yesterday. I had a multivitamin with dinner that seemed to cause tremendous gas and more pain in my side, bit that pain could be more gas.

I've had diarrhea since the surgery, but I had that before the surgery due to attacks. I've been managing that with the BRAT diet so far.

How has your post opp digestion been and did it start out bad and get better with time? One week, two weeks? Longer?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had myone removed 17th February. For the first week or so I still suffered with gas, constantly belching. I had diarrhea for about 5 or 6 weeks. Seemed everything I ate came out the other end quickly! It has settled now but some days it is still a problem. Im trying to figure what it is causing as it doesn't always seem to be if I eat excess fat so obviously it's something doesn't agree with me

• Posted

Hi Victoria, I'm just curious do you eat a normal diet, or are you on a low fat diet. I've read it's not good to eliminate fats but I don't know from any experience.

So has your bloating come back or was it gone for good after the first week?

My doctor told me to eat a bread and rice diet to manage the diarrhea, which so far keeps me from running to the bathroom all day. I feel like my digestion has a good way to go before it's somewhat normal though. Still the first week for me.

• Posted

I pretty much eat a normal diet now. I do still suffered with gas from time to time and I have found that is if I have eaten something fatty. But other than that and the occasional loose bowels everything seems to be back to normal
  • Posted

Hi Daniel, its early days don't forget as you're only day 6. It will get better but the insides will heal slower than the outside and your body has to get use to not having a gallbladder which does take time in some people. Its a case as try it and see. Alot of people do have problems with diarrhoea after surgery and I hear that this goes in time, I was the other way!

Its just taking your body time to heal so don't rush it, you have just had major surgery don't forget even when its keyhole.

I've stuck to low fat after surgery as I did before as my body is still learning to compensate. At least then you're having some fat in your diet but not over doing it for your body.

Just take care, look after yourself and keep us updated with how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Daniel,

As Katherine said, it's early days for you.  Low fat doesn't mean no fat, but everyone is different as to what they can digest.  It's a trial and error process and takes some time.  

For instance, I can eat butter from grass fed cows, and use coconut oil for cooking.  I can't eat margarine, or other oils without getting sick, though.  There is also a FODMAP diet on line that might help you.

Best of luck to you, and let us know how you get on! 

• Posted

Hi Daniel

Had open cholecystectomy early in February followed a month later by liver resection. Surgeon used same incision for both ops. For about a week after both ops I had bloating which was quite painful and was definitely off my food. Went home after a week and ate low fat diet as I had some diarrhoea but that improved as I had more choice of food at home and could eat when I wanted. Now seven weeks post op from liver resection and twelve weeks from cholecystectomy and starting to introduce more fat into diet. I am on Omeprazole. This week I have tried small amount of pizza, fish and chips (batter removed and only six chips served with wholemeal bread and flora spread) and a bacon sandwich (1 rasher with fat removed and blotted). I'm finding it's the quantity of fat at one meal that gives me issues. I balance anything fatty by eating whole foods to soak up excess bile. I only eat wholemeal bread and cereals, use skimmed milk and flora spread and often I use low fat mayo on a sandwich instead of flora. I eat 0% fat activia yogurts and don't use much oil in cooking (olive oil sprays are helpful) but I can eat poached/boiled/scrambled eggs and omelettes. Not everyone is the same - I have a friend who could not eat eggs at alll - and it is very early days for you. Eat low fat until you can tolerate small amounts of fat and introduce fats gradually is how I've done it. Think Omeprazole helps a lot too. Hope you're soon recovered.

• Posted

I have been posting when I think I can be of help to someone. Gallbladder disease is so painful and complex. Had a consultation with my surgeon yesterday and all tissue samples from the biopsy have come back clear, which is a relief as I won't need chemo or radiotherapy. I will need CT scans every six months for two years then every year for a further three years. Because gallbladder cancer is so rare there is apparently no protocol for treatment in the U.K. so it's very much played by ear. Surgeon also warned that there have been cases similar to mine where there has been a recurrence so not totally out of the woods yet. Just have to watch for any signs of jaundice and rely on CT for picking up anything. I feel blessed that it was picked up so early. Had I not had gallstone attacks, things would have been very different. Normally there is a poor survival rate for 5 years survival for my cancer which was a T1 stage adenocarcinoma. It has been an uphill struggle, first to get a diagnosis (originally in July 2016 it was thought to be kidney stones), then to get the surgery I needed (at one point I was in danger of septis due to jaundice). Following discharge after the open cholecystectomy, my temperature shot up to 38.8 and I was readmitted. This was when I got the cancer diagnosis but actually that speeded up the process. I had a good surgical team and some excellent care from some of the nurses but there were times I felt unsupported by professionals. Think every surgeon, doctor and nurse should as part of their training experience what it's like to be a patient. There were points when I was catheterised and receiving IV fluids and oxygen so effectively tethered to my bed yet staff encouraged me to mobilise. How? Once I actually collapsed (legs just buckled) when I was mobilising. Another time I had a partially collapsed lung so couldn't achieve my oxygen saturations (also have mild asthma) yet I was woken every hour postoperatively during the night to redo the sats. I was exhausted and tearful by morning. Some of the staff just didn't seem to have any empathy for the patients whilst others were amazing. Thank you for your kind interest and encouragement. It did help.

• Posted

I am glad you're doing better and will have regular monitoring.  I agree that some people in the medical profession seem to have no empathy or sympathy with their patients at all.  I agree that being hospitalized should be part of the training.  Perhaps medical students could get randomly assiged diseases and have to go through the testing for that particular disease. I used to think that ob/gyns should have to experience a few labor contractions, too.

You have been through such an ordeal!  Thanks for letting me know how you're getting on and please do keep in touch! xx

I hope that your recovery is proceeding well.    

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up