Digestive bothers

Posted , 7 users are following.

Do any of you get heartburn/reflux issues around your monthly? I have been getting heartburn ever since I entered peri but it seems that when I am ovulating I get it worse than other times. My GI said that the receptor sites for progesterone and estrogen are located along the digestive tract which why we experience such digestive upsets during hormonal fluctuations. 

I had a c section two years ago and during that procedure the OB had to scrape scar tissue from my bowels which formed there from a previous abdominal surgery. When I explained my experience to my current GYN, he said anytime there is manipulation to the bowels it can result in things like having heartburn. The bowels are very sensitive and don't react well to being tampered with. Oh boy!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Yes I do. I am convinced at these times I have an ulcer as I am suffering anxiety. (Anxiety is much higher to around my period). However, since it goes away once my period has come and gone, I do put it down to hormonal. I also don't like 'being messed about with' so have been thankful it does go away, or else I suppose they'd want to stick something down  my throat to have a look? 

I use the following to help ease the burning. 

Sometimes lacto free milk helps (or regular milk)

peppermint tea has helped

I have purchased slippery elm and am trying that out

Extra Strong Mints(regular sweet  kind)

My whole indigestional tract has gone haywire. It's a nightmare. 

• Posted

Yeah my GI had scheduled me for an endoscope but I did not feel comfortable with the idea of being put to sleep like that. So I cancelled it. He  wanted to see if I had H. pylori but you can do a blood test for that why he wanted to do a scope right off the bat is odd to me, My sister had H. pylori and they only did a blood test for her. I will try with a different doctor to see if I can get tested. Some of these doctors will opt for the procedure that will give them the most commission and not necessarilly choose what may overall be better for the patient.
    • Posted

My boyfriend said he went for the test and he said that he had to 'blow into something' he says like a tube and that is how he was diagnosed. So yes, that does sound dramatic (endoscope) but, maybe they suspect something else like an ulcer. No idea of course, I am not a doctor.My boyfrien also says he was suffering from acid reflux and heartburn, farting etc., but used probiotic drinks and it went away. He was not diagnosed pylori though as the blowing test showed negative. 
    • Posted

No, he actually said he would do the scope for h. Pylori and also for celiacs disease. He didn't mention an ulcer.
    • Posted

I hope I did not worry you regards an ucler, but I was just confused as to why he wanted an endoscope when there appears to be other ways to find out if you have Pylori.  Ones that are less 'scary' than the endoscope one. I have such medical phobias I hate all of that probing and stuff and often I feel medicines make me feel worse! x
    • Posted

Because I found out that he likes to choose methods that pay out more to him. When I first saw him for the heartburn he told me to take omeprazole which is prilosec over the counter and he also suggested for miralax for occasional constipation. He insisted on writing a prescription when I told him i would buy them from the pharmacy. The pharmacy wouldn't fill the prescription. He asked me why did your doctor write this prescription when you can get those cheaper over the counter?

Then when I went back to him, he said that he could do a blood test to determine whether I had h. Pylori but he said he prefers scopes. So i deduced from those two incidents that he is money hungry which is why I will go see a different doctor.

• Posted

I recently started having the same symptoms. My docto gave me Prilosec to take for one month. I'm also going to find ways to relieve the symptoms. It's no fun having heavy cycles and indigestion. Since you started having this heart burn does it make it harder for you to breathe during any exercise. Mine gets in the way. I hope you feel better sooks
  • Posted

Hi Sharcerv 

I do suffer from acid reflux and heartburn at times. I'm sorry you went through that surgery with the bowls. 

Maybe you should be on something for heart burn ask your doctor

• Posted

Yes I take Prevacid 15mg twice daily but when it's getting close to that ovulation time i find that i have quite the flare up. Diet could be a factor too. I should cut back on carbs and see if this helps.
  • Posted

Yes that's very familiar! Although my periods have stopped, my hormones still come and go with the tides! I still get heartburn at certain times of the month. But I've cut down on bread, for several reasons, and have found this helps.

It's not an allergy or anything like that. I just don't feel our modern wheat is doing us any good.

• Posted

Hello

I'm having digestive issues too. I've got a disgusting taste in my mouth and throat, chest pain and pressure and I've been burping quite a lot.

I've tried 2 different acid reducing medication, neither of which has done any real good and if anything I've felt more acidy since I stopped taking them than I did before I started them.

This is probably the most distressing peri symptom I've had.

• Posted

Yeah i hate the heartburn and the other bugger is the anxiety. Ugh!
    • Posted

I have had to change heartburn meds frequently too. It seems just when i think one is working, it stops and i have to try another. I suppose that's how it is with peri symptoms, you play the guessing game a lot with what helps. The doctors are doing the same thing. They don't really have a clue how to help us, some of them anyway.
    • Posted

My Dr is absolutely useless.

He put me on lansoprazole but all they did was give me a sore mouth and a headache. I stopped them and went back and he practically laughed in my face when I said they didn't work. He changed it to rabeprazole which were equally as useless. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Its frustrating.

• Posted

Yes it is frustrating because I am used to being able to eat what I want. Now if I eat certain things I'm sorry the next morning. I heard one lady on this forum say that she used to get heartburn a lot but after menopause it stopped. I can only hope that it will ease up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.