Disappointed

Posted , 5 users are following.

I went to different PT for 2nd opinion and consultation. I quit with my former PT because she overworked me and left me in such misery pain for several days. I couldn't shake it off by elevate, icing, raise my leg up. I have known my therapist for several years and her partner specializes in TKR for 2w years. My ex therapist has 3 years. Right now I am disappointed due to flexion and straight. I'm at -10 straight and 100 bend and here I am at 8 weeks recovery..

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

You've got a long way to go before you become discouraged.  Early for you.  I was under 100 bend for,the longest time but here I am at 4 months and everything is starting to come around.  The swelling prevents you from bending.  I never had a problem with straightening so I can't speak to that.  Just keep doing your exercises faithfully and ice, elevate and I'll bet you'll be ok in no time.  Remember,this takes a year to recover completely.  

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Not to be disappointed.  I started PT about 3 weeks post-op at -14 / +84.  Took 10 more weeks of PT @ 2x/week plus home exercises to get to -1 / +123.  It's hard and painful when they push down on your knee...no doubt.  Take meds an hour before.  Gotta break down the scar tissue as fast as possible...can't let it set in and take hold. They don't tell you about this before the op.  

Once you're at full flexion (0 / +120) you need to start exercising to rebuild all the dead muscles in your quads, glutes and core.  More work...and you have to keep doing all this or the leg reverts back.  For most of us, a full recovery takes a year.  Big improvements are usually seen at three, six and 12 months.  I'm at 15 months and it doesn't even bother me anymore. Occasional stiffness...nerve tingling when I kneel on it.  All the work pays off...but ya gotta do the work. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It really is early days...you will have people on this forum saying this again and again. Have your read CHICO's straight talking entries? If not, do...It is hard to stomach but keep at it. Be patient. It is a challenge, but things will improve.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

What did the new PT think of your progress? 100 flexion is not so bad, you can work on that - mine had to be manipulated as was only at 60 degrees by 10 weeks, going backwards due to tight scarring and huge swelling, very painful from the surgery on

?I had to have an MUA, which ws worrying but really helped to get me to 90-95 which for me is quite a big improvement, where from your perspective it is not good at all. My OS was aiming to get that minimum as then you can function relatively enough to gain further.

?Extn I have not had big problems - was at zero post op but a little stiffer since the MUA, but but I am working on it.

?It is very disappointing I agree with you totally and frustrating when you do all you should but don't get the results. As everyone is saying, you still have time and the new PT sounds as if they are experts on TKR.

?Hope you can make some good progress in the next few weeks to restore your motivation. When the exercises hurt it is hard to psych up for every session. When people have questioned me as to whether I do enough - I ask them if they would be up for hitting their knee very hard with a big hammer many times a day if the doc told them it was the right treatment - because human nature is not to want to hurt yourself even when, as in our case, we have to go into pain territory for the ultimate benefit of the knee.

?

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up