Disappointed, depressed and discouraged

Posted , 14 users are following.

Here I am, almost at 7 weeks postop TKR, right knee. Honestly, I thought I would be driving, walking the dog and not relying on my husband to take me to the store. Not happening. I get exhausted after short trips, can't sit in a straight chair without my leg stiffening up and to top it off, my kneecap burns and is so sensitive to the touch. I now have a knee sleeve (thanks Chico Marx), use vitamin E cream to soften the skin, I now have Pennsaid, which has 2%,as opposed to 1% of the stuff in Voltaren and a collection of other creams, including bio-freeze. Eating muffins, reading thrillers and crying in the shower... thank you all for listening to my inane chatter..

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hang in there Ellen! I am also 7 weeks. Still on walker; plenty of pain but making slow progress. I cried more in the last 7 weeks than in years. Just keep in mind you are already better off than the previous weeks. I think for me this is so hard because it feels like it has been going on forever.

Take one day at a time and cry if you need to. My knee was so hypersensitive that outpatient pt sent me home and I got Vit E oil and massaged the whole leg 3-4 times a day and still do it once a day. My leg is fine to touch now.

My kneecap only feels raw after pt that day. I ice to relieve that. Listen, you are not crazy or weak. This process is incredibly hard and very frustrating. I just cry and move on. That leg is going to be there in the morning so I start over and try my best to power through. Hugs

• Posted

Hi ellen

Hang in there. The feelings you describe are perfectly normal. This is a brutal operation and everyones recovery is different. Keep up the ice and massage at every opportunity. The exhaustion you describe can be quite overwhelming but will improve in time. Eat well, drink plenty of water and most importantly-be kind to yourself. Seven weeks is still early days. Hang in there.

• Posted

I was back to work after 6 weeks but still with swelling and pain. I was not allowed to stand or sit longer than 1 hr at a time, plus other limitations. I made sure I did all my exercises daily and massaged the scar to get rid of scar tissue. Some take longer than others but I definitely pushed myself
  • Posted

Hi ellen

Your on a long road to recovery as you progress

things will get better take your time don't overdo anything its a marathon not a sprint

take care and good luck .

• Posted

"Honestly, I thought I would be _________________." {Fill in the blank}

Yeah, we all thought the same.  Fools one and all.  No one's prepared for this and those fake timelines we keep in our heads just confirms our collective delusions.

Gotta be more Zen: "I'll be better when I'm better."  Don't "expect" anything in any timeframe.  It just doesn't work like that.  Relax and enjoy the ride...HEAL!!!

• Posted

Best advice ever chico. And no, no one really prepares us truthfully for this. We are soldiers and have to do it if we cannot walk properly. Take your time. 7 weeks is so early. I'm 10 months and now gaining stregnth back but have additional back problems. You'll get there slowly but surely

Pam

• Posted

Eleven months now...and they found severe stenosis in my back...dealing with it since October.  Spine surgery in 3-4 weeks. Then FINALLY I can get back to strengthening my legs and core.  Hasn't been easy but I endure and overcome.

• Posted

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers Commander (Sir) , for what it's worth. I remember you mentioning this ordeal you'll be facing sometime in February. Best of healing to you, and as little pain as possible, yes I know I know..... "zen" 👍 🌬🌬 👼👼 🍀🍀 k p 

• Posted

I think it will be fine.  Doc said that normally, they'd unzip my back, take out the old hardware, clean things up and then fuse me L2-S1.  3-5 days in the hospital...months of rehab.  But now...

They have this new EXPANDABLE spacer.  A general surgeon goes into my side to open up a work area and then the neurosurgeon inserts the spacer at L2/L3.  He then uses a surgical "allen wrench" to crank the spacer open until the desired level is achieved to stop the compression of the nerves.  Overnight stay...zero rehab...instant pain relief...permanent fix.

Neato...  March 24th...

• Posted

I'll remember/note this for my future reference. Remarkable what can be done these days, yeah, but what about our knee, ha ha. Good luck kiddo, like I said .... You'll be in my prayers. I finally had my X-rays n mri done of the neck n back. Just waiting on that appt. that takes forever to make, they called today and said doc had to go into emergency surgery... Oh well, now have to make a new appt. " they" were supposed to call by end of day to reschedule... So far no phone call... As Scarlett would say... "Tomorrow is another day" 👍👍 k

• Posted

At least it wasn't emergency surgery on YOU!!!  There's always someone in more dire straits...or Dire Straits...Sultans of Swing.  Love playing that song with the band.  Great bass line. 

• Posted

Hi Ellen!

You have already accomplished a lot! T seven weeks you are still pretty new to having so much going on in your body. Our bodies respond to trauma by making us tired and sleepy so we will quit trying to do all our regular stuff and REST! We heal when we sleep. Swelling is the body's way of immobilizing the body part that is injured. Our bodies go through SO MUCH will this knee replacement surgery!

Try to distract yourself by doing some interesting things. That could be reading or repotting plants ( a favorite of mine) or reading or journaling ( another personal favorite of mine ) . Keep as positive as you can. Watch comedies. Find ones that make you laugh out loud!😁

Try not to worry. About 12 weeks I was starting to see nice improvement especially in sleeping several HOURS at a time. You may find this, too.

Exhaustion is part of the healing process. Give into it. Drink lots of ice water to keep eliminating toxins from the anesthesia and medication.

Come here often for support from many who have been right where you are now!

• Posted

Hi Ellen,  I had my left TKR in January 2016 and right TKR in August 2016.  What I am taking away from this lo-o-o-ng journey is PATIENCE.  I learned after my first TKR to measure my progress in weeks, rather than days and later on in months rather than weeks.  Certainly helped to retain my sanity!  After my right TKR in August I was able to climb a mountain in December and walk 5km on the beach.  In other words - things get better with time. I still ice both knees almost every night and have to face the consequences if I had been standing for too long or walked too far but it is getting better all the time.  You have to keep perspective of the reason why you had the op and visualise what you will be able to accomplish in future.  It's rather like eating an elephant - one mouthful at a time.  Focus on doing your exercises, rest and ice regularly.  Celebrate every bit of improvement and look forward to the next.  And if you need to cry in the shower, do it wholeheartedly smile

• Posted

Hi Ellen

This is a long rough journey to recover after TKR. You WILL get there, in your own time at your own pace.

We're all with you. If you need advice or to vent just jump on here, any time, someone will get back to you.

All the very best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Ellen, Hang in there.  I'm due to have my first knee done on 1st March, so haven't been through it, but I'm really expecting to be just where you are at 7 weeks post op.  I'm looking at the situation from outside it, so not tired or depressed now, but I'm sure I will be frustrated when it comes to it, wanting to do more than I'm able, but really after years of so much pain if a year of my life will sort out both knees fairly well, I'm going to be so much better off, so if you can, look for the light at the end of the tunnel - there will be one and although it's hard now, the time will come when you're telling us on here 'it was so worth it'.  I just wanted to encourage you.  I'm sure you're getting that from others on here who have been through it:-)  Enjoy the reading and do things that you normally don't  have the time to do.  Find something each day that will give you pleasure to do, something to look forward to:-))))  I hope you didn't mind me commenting when I've not even been through it.

• Posted

Although you have not yet had your surgery, I appreciate your concern and supporting. I thought I was prepared. Read everything about TKR, connected with this web site and bought all the supplies I would need. Nothing prepares you for TKR. As you read in my post, I thought I would be up and running by now (7 weeks). I do have a few suggestions for you: go online and buy a raised toilet seat ( you won't be bending very well and this is a small miracle), get fitted for a cane, prepare a few meals to freeze, prepare to sleep in a recliner for about 2 weeks. Only do steps one at a time and with a spotter to make sure you don't fall. Buy, also get online 2 soft ice packs that will mold to your leg. They should be pretty big. Also, biofreeze gel. I went to Amazon and they had everything. I wish you lots of good health and an easy recooperation. Most important: talk about pain management with your surgeon before the big day. Also stay ahead of the pain ( don't fight it, you will have pain). This forum is always here for you.

• Posted

Ellen I really appreciate both your advice and hearing your experience - I think reading of various people's experiences on here helps hugely, with expectation etc.  Before I started reading up I honestly thought you couldn't put ANY weight on the operated knee for at least six weeks, so was somewhat relieved to see you COULD put weight on gently straight away!  I've had a raised toilet seat for years - up until about 18 months ago I had a 'portable' raised toilet seat with arms, and then we got our bathroom redone with a toilet as high as it was with the high seat on it, and our shower so there wasn't a step.  We raised our sofa legs several years ago, and got a car with high seats.  I first got my two canes around 6 - 8 years ago and even bought a mobility scooter - knees have been that bad for that long and I didn't ever intend to have knee replacements until even with all 'the kit' my life was SO restricted and with constant pain, that I felt the time had come.  I've bought two bags of frozen peas marked 'for knee' ready for the op but am thinking of getting the cuff with the iced water delivery as soon as I know what size to get (don't know how much swelling to expect so don't know what will fit).  I've got some biofreeze gel already, plus Ibuprofen gel (the strong one) and am very ready to shout if I have pain that is going to restrict exercise because I know the importance of that.   My new rise/recliner chair is coming tomorrow:-)    My husband is brilliant and will help in any way he can, and I THINK I've got everything as prepared as I can now.  But my husband has been taking the load for so many years now because I've been so crippled with arthritis.  I was offered knee replacements about 8 years ago but put it off.  So for me, this is the light at the end of the tunnel, despite knowing it's going to be a painful period, but it's with the hope that the pain is limited now.  After struggling for so many years I'm determined I'll cope with whatever for a limited period and get the other one done asap.  Hopefully I wont change my mind on that LOL!  But thank you so much for the good wishes and it's brilliant to know that questions can be asked on here and you get replies so quickly if you're worried about anything.  I do hope you feel a lot better soon!:-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.