Disappointed in Lab Results

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Everyone!

I had my doctor test my hormone levels and the results are disappointing.  I am on my 7th year of perimenopausal symptoms.  I have gone gone from very heavy bleeding for years to skipping periods and then barely having periods at all.  I was so sure the doctor would tell me I was getting close to full menopause.

My lab results do not show that I am close to menopause at all.  Then two days later my "period" starts.  Barely anything there but I assume it is a period.... sad  I am ready to be menopausal.  But am I confused?  I thought that when I finally have a full year of no periods I will be free of all these awful symptoms.  Will they continue so strongly into full menopause?

This is taking too long!  I have endured really all the symptoms possible.  I have to hold back commenting on other's post because I feel I will be annoying saying me too me too on every post.

Will it get better soon?  or ever?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Me too!! Ha ha sorry just had to go there!! No but seriously all joking aside I've had every symptom up and down and sideways, I've had all my hormones checked and all come back normal range too, except once my estrogen said 39, and my LH said 26, but then had them checked a year or so later and was within normal range! That is because these awful hormones fluctuate just too much for blood tests to ever show out of range. And I had a hysterectomy years ago so I really don't know what day of my cycle I'm in (still have ovaries) but I can tell you one thing that helps me is I buy a lot of those menopausal sticks that you pee on and take them tests through out the month and when my symptoms aren't that bad it shows only one line, and when I feel like I'm dying with symptoms everything from crying to doom and gloom, both lines appear and shows menopausal, so who knows but that's how I can tell, I order them off of the internet... Good luck and hope it helps😁

• Posted

Thanks for the recommendation of the menopausal sticks!  I would like to see if they are positive when I am feeling at my worst.  What a great idea! 
  • Posted

Hi Rachel, and yes me too!! It absolutely takes too long to get through all this stuff. I had no period for 8 months with all the usual peri symptoms including severe mood swings. Finally found a doctor who does bio identical hormones and kind of thought it would be a quick fix mainly for my depression, anxiety, anger etc that I knew was due to hormone imbalance. It wasn't quick and i'v been on BHRT 8 months now with a few hickups along the way but I'm finally feeling good again. So yes its very normal to be impatient through all this and please join us all with your thoughts and experiences as thats the reason we are all on here.

Cheers Rosemary😃

• Posted

Hi Rosemary, thank you for your encouragement!  It is so nice to talk to other women and know that I am not alone.  I have tried bio identical hormones, progesterone only, and it helped regulate my bleeding due to uterine lining overgrowth.  Now my anxiety and moods are not well balanced and host of other perimenopausal symptoms.  I so want to be "normal" again!

• Posted

Rachel how old are you?   And how long were your periods stopped?   I am 49 and am still like clockwork every month but have a little bit of night sweats.    They were worse before.   B vitamins, acetyl-glutathione and coq10 have helped me a lot.   And I take tryptophan at bedtime also, sleeping again.   I wake to pee, but can go back to sleep, and I wasn't before.   Oh, and flax SDG lignan.    I have heavy and fast periods.   

Anyone who has had periods stopped for a long time and then bleeds again needs a cancer screening.    

Hormone levels can be all over the place...our fat tissue makes replacement estrogen to the degree it is able.   

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

I am 49 this month!  My periods stopped/very light spotting for the last 8 months.  This was a big change from years of heavy bleeding.... that is why I was so hopeful that I had made it to the other side.  I will try the vitamins you have mentioned.  I don't even know what flax SDG lignan is but I will read about it.  I need to be better with taking my vitamins in general.  The only vitamin I take regularly is chocolate almonds... ha ha.  The doctor is sending me for a pelvic ultrasound which I assume is way to check for cancer.

• Posted

Rachel, don't feel like you're annoying anyone by sharing and commenting. I'm 50 years old and have been going through peri for 10 years. I too feel as though I've experienced all possible peri symptoms and am soooo sick of it all. I had no idea it would last this long.  But, I wouldn't be so concerned about your hormone test results because during peri they are so erratic, not gradual. So it can end all at once. Hopefully your transition is right around the corner!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.