Disappointed - now due for second THR in Aug/Sept

Posted , 11 users are following.

I’m feeling a bit sorry for myself and could do with some fairy hugs!

To recap - I had a surprise diagnosis of severe osteoarthritis last year, leading to a THR on my right hip in June 2016.  Though my surgeon indicated at the time that my left hip would also need replacing fairly soon, I had hoped that it would be at some point in the future, preferably in the far distant future.

During my 6 month follow up in December, my surgeon suggested that the second op should be scheduled for early 2017, but I felt that I couldn’t cope with another operation so soon after the first one and decided to delay making the decision for a further 6 months, which took me to last Wednesday and another meeting with my surgeon.

I have reluctantly accepted that I have got to have my left hip done this year and have been given a waiting time of 2 to 3 months (pretty good for the NHS).

There is also the other issue – now I know (sort of) what to expect.  I am absolutely dreading the first 2 weeks at home – it was a nightmare last time! Sometimes ignorance really is bliss!

Now, I know I’m being daft, but I just wish that there was another option…….

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello there!

I can 100% relate to your situation. I was told at 32 years old I needed a double hip replacement. I left that Drs office saying, "Nope. He has to be wrong... there is no way at my age that could be right." For 5 years and 6 Drs, I was told the same.

At 37 I had my R hip done(the worst) and 2 1/2 yrs later, HAPPILY had my L hip done.

You're right.... those first 2 weeks are tough. Takes forever to get in/out of bed...hard to shower while watching precautions....sleep schedule is all wonky. I 100% get it. BUT after that, the relief is amazing. I CAN PUT SOCKS ON!!!

I am also in your situation AGAIN as a few months ago I started having the same pain in my groin in my first replacement which is only 5 1/2 years old. I have an appointment on Tues to see my Surgeon and am terrified that I will have to do this again so soon.

I trust you will do wonderful with this second replacement and remember, even a bad day can only last 24 hours.

All the best!!

• Posted

Thank you Randi

I don't know what I would do without this forum.  It is so nice to be able to say what you actually feel - and for people to understand what you mean.

I hope all goes well with your appointment and that you won't need another op.

• Posted

Hi Chloe, long time no speak. I often wonder how last year's hippie friends are doing & I guess you're feeling a bit disheartened 😕

I was sort of in the same boat as you as my surgeon said I would definitely need a THR on my left hip in the near future. I went to see him a few weeks ago for my annual checkup & had a few x-rays taken. Despite having a bit of a nagging ache after walking for some distance, my surgeon said he hoped he wouldn't see me for a few years!

Think positive - you know what's to come, you know you can do it, you understand the necessity to do your exercises religiously & you shouldn't worry. Remember Lors? I'm pretty sure her 2nd THR was easier than her 1st because she knew what to expect. It's surely worse when your anxious (the fear of not knowing).

Chin up lovely, be positive, embrace it & remember you have your hippie forum mates to chat to x

• Posted

Hi Fernlady

As you say - long time no speak.

Yep, I'm pretty fed up at the moment.  I KNOW the surgeon said - at our very first consultation back in May last year - that I would have to have a second THR etc but just somewhere in the back of my brain I have been hoping that he was wrong.  Of course he wasn't - but sometimes you just cling on to the impossible and hope it might just happen (or not happen as the case may be).

Of course, the problem with clinging on to the impossible, is that when it has been proven really to be impossible, you then you get really fed up - and I'm FED UP!

Currently I'm not in the right frame of mind to be positive - I want to have a sulk and throw a temper tantrum for a few days first!frown

As I've said before, and I've no doubt will say again - it is so nice to be able to ask this forum for support and understanding receive it every time.  So, thank you. 

• Posted

Aaw Chloe, have your silk, smash a few plates or do whatever you feel you have to but then remember that the sooner you get it done, the sooner it will all be over & no more pain x

• Posted

Silk????!!!! Should have said sulk! X
    • Posted

If I want to have a silk, then I will have a silk - so there!!!
  • Posted

Hi, I'm sending you a virtual hug! Sorry to hear about your other hip. I'm a month behind you, had my right hip replaced last July. At the moment my left hip is ok, but I suppose it will probably need doing at some point. Hang on in there...I wish you all the best, Judith.

• Posted

Thank you for your kind thoughts Judith

I'm in need of all the virtual hugs I can get at the moment.

I will be ok - but not just at the moment,

• Posted

I know the feeling well I'm due my second hip replacement on the 26 june I didn't have any pain in my left hip even though the surgeon said it was worse than the right but it was the right hip causing me the worst pain imaginable.....now the left is as bad if not worse pain wise I'm dreading this one too fairy hugs to you xx

• Posted

Hi Jean

Fairy hugs back to you and I hope all goes well with your op.

• Posted

So sorry to hear that you have to have the 2nd hip done. I also have osteoarthritis was diagnosis in Janurary had surgery in March on left and surgeon told me probably 2 yrs the right would have to be replaced. I have done very well with the left hip replacement and 3 days after returning to work the femoral head collapsed on the right due to osteoarthritis went to ER and they admitted me and said surgery in the morning they never did the surgery and released me 4 days later with collapsed femur and see surgeon in 2 weeks. I went to surgeon yesterday and they're going to do right hip in July in the mean time going on a month now I get to sit and I mean sit because it hurts so bad to walk and wait for surgery before I have anything to look forward to as far as recovery. So yes I wish there was another cure for osteoarthritis but I guess there's not. Any advice you can give me would be appreciated because right now I'm very depressed from not having any quality of life since the first hip and then told 2 yrs and 4 months later here I go again.

• Posted

Hi Teresa

First of all big fairy hugs for you.

You are having it rough - far worse than me. so have some more fary hugs.

Currently I'm have a sulk (or silk if you're from the Fernlady school of thought), then I'm going to throw a full scale hissy fit.  Once I've done those things, I will then try to look on the positive side.

The worst part - of accepting professional advice that I need the op - has been accepted and acted upon and I'm now in the system.

So then I need to look at what if any preparation I need to do before the pre-op stuff starts.

Once that has been done, I can then concentrate on the benefits of having the op done - no pain, free movement etc.

So, my advice to you is have a sulk, throw a temper tantrum and then force yourself to find the positives in having the operation.  Try not to get yourself stuck in a negative thought loop - it achieves nothing.

I am fortunate to have a friend who's a Therapist and she showed me a simple technique to stop panicking and calm down.  It is just a breathing exercise, so:

1.  Find somewhere comfortable to stand or sit.

2.  Concentrate on your breathing - breathe in through your nose for a mental count of 3

3.  Still concentrating on your breathing - breathe out through your mouth for a mental count of 5.

As you practice you will find that you can increase the mental counts.

I was THE worst cynic about this - I was convinced that it wouldn't work. But, quite simply it does work.

Give it a go - what have you got to lose?

Last but not least, continue to post to this forum.  I can guarantee you will receive great advice, support and understanding.

• Posted

Thanks. I will try the breathing therapy like what else do I have to do with my time.
    • Posted

Oh Teresa sweetie – you are in a bad way.

I looked at your profile but you don’t say where you are.  I suggest that it could help if you could speak to someone about how you feel.  Do you have anyone who would just listen to you – and possibly help you too?

If you’re relatively local to me, I would be more than happy to come round and let you use me as a verbal punch bag.  I’m in West Sussex near Gatwick Airport, where are you?

If I’m not local to you, then I’m pretty sure that if you want to speak with someone-who-knows, any number of people from this forum would be only too happy to pop round and listen to you.

In the meantime do take care of yourself.

Lots of fairy hugs.

• Posted

Thanks so much. I'm in Virginia and I have a very loving caring husband that listen to me on a daily basis. He is very supportive when he's here for he works 12 to 14 hours a day then my 2 kids gets to hear me. So I am lucky I have a loving family.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.