discerning what to do

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I will keep this as abridged as possible.  I have no idea where to go and I would like to get an answer from a source that has no idea who I am.  As this seems like a place that’s open to one expressing oneself, I will be as honest as possible:

I have had trouble sleeping for years.  I barely sleep through the night

For months I’ve been in a constant sad mood when by myself. Often it’s difficult to be with my own thoughts without going crazy.

I am constantly irritated and I don’t know why.  It’s to the point where I get irrationally angry and I never would get like that.

These are just a few things, but I’m trying to keep it short.  I’m wondering if I should go see someone or if it’s depression possibly.  I have no idea and I’m running out of patience with this.  If more details are needed, I will provide them (within reason).   

2 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

Depression can cause insomnia. Not getting a good nights sleep will make you irritable. Having said that you need to see a doctor and have a physical examination there could be many reasons for your symptoms. Rule out all other things before you think it is depression or start medications. And yes it is safe to come here and talk with us. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Whenever anything is getting you down for a period of time and affecting your life and happiness ABSOLUTELY seek professional help.  Everyone at some point I our lives have times where we need outside support.  Depression is very common.  A psychiatrist can give you a short test to determine if that’s the problem . Talk therapy along with medication is sometimes necessary . Don’t be afraid to seek help.  You’ll see results ! 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Well it sounds like depression to me although no one on here can diagnose you,  only a doctor.  Why not do a few online depression tests as they might give you a guide.  x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It could well be depression but it could also be down to something else, I recommend the same as the others that have replyd, see your gp, explain how you are feeling and they will help work out what it is. I know the idea of explaining your feelings can be off putting but take it from one of the world's most closed off people, once you say it out loud (to someone that has heard it before believe it or not) the relief is immense. 1 way or another they will be able to help. I wish you all the best.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Steven - sorry to read you are having trouble. Yes, as the Ladies here have unanimously advised - see your doctor. You have described features that are familiar to depression. There is no need for you to suffer, knowledge is power, and once you know what ails you will find the means to deal with it. Meanwhile, have you tried alternative medicines for sleep? Camomile Tea before bed, lavender drops on your pillow for relaxation. St Johns Wort can be effective for depression in some people. Best of luck to you and we are always here to help.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Well lve had insomnia before try some copeing strategies like fixing a bed time l go at 9.30 or l won't sleep that's me , make a bed to e that suites yourself:

One you can stick to early .

If you have the I internet try mediation music !

Its the best it worked for me , try it.

All so latly l have got like a night light put it flashes different colours an l play my medication music its so relaxing l All so take muti vitamins that's helps

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It sounds like you have been patient and enduring long enough, and it is time to take care of your dear self. Have you seen a doctor about your sleep troubles? I have heard that anxiety can cause irritability and angry outbursts, in particular with men. Women tend to get teary. At least this is what I have read because I read so much about anxiety and depression. Please make an appointment to get your sleep and sadness looked at. You deserve it. Hug.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up