Disciplinary at work

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi, I know a Anxiety can be caused by this type of action in the work place, however in Sept last year I sat down with my manager and told him of personal circumstances that had caused me to suffer from anxiety and panic attacks.

due to kind sole that he is, (not) for one particular work aspect he put me on an improvement plan, which I have not met, largely because he is, and nit just in my view , unreasonable, 

this has now meant that I am due to go down the formal disciplinary route. 

I have been off work whilst new medication has been provided. HR have spoken to me and I am considering Grievance against him but due it being a small company I can't see the point.

any suggestions, or points I can consider as you can imagine this is increasing the issue

thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mountain Goat. Is the plan he provded actually a reasonable plan, considering what the issues are that you discussed with him that lead to it? If it was unfair and unrealistic from the outset, then your disciplinary could be dismissed, if handled in the right way. Support should also have been built into your plan to allow you to succeed. You're allowed to be ill and your improvement plan should have considered this, in order to support you staying in work long term were possible.

I've based my response from personal similar experience. Good luck, and highlight where you have been successful.. the efforts you've made and your commitment to the company despite how unwell you are. You could have easily walked away, but you didn't. Let me know if I can help anymore.

• Posted

The plan is unreasonable as its wholly down to his judgement/view. 

This one particular aspects has been confirmed as OK by colleagues who I  said I should get feedback from, but each time I go through it with him he changes something, that I have kept consistent throught out that he previously hadn't commented on

I am a big boy and not trying to hide behind the diagnosis but on the basis that I was diagnosed before this started, and not used as a reason as soon as the disciplinary started, I wondered if he is actually considering duty of care, as it has exasperated the condition .

oh, I like your nickname lol 

• Posted

I think your positive consistency should definately be highlighted in your disciplinary. As you've also pointed out, you had a discussion about your diagnoses before all this started and you haven't abused that. Maybe you could highlight that to? Maybe, if you're comfortable.. share with your disciplinary people why you had the discussion with your manager? Because I'm guessing it was ultimately to support you to stay in work? So many would have gone off on sick leave but you've tried to stick with it as best you can, and been open and honest. Doesn't seem like he's considering care or any 'give and take'. You've given by staying in work, he take by easing your reponsibilities temporarily and supporting you with this.

And thanks.. It seems suitable with the time I've spent in hospital!

• Posted

I also meant to say.. Do you have a copy of the plan? If so maybe break it down into bullet points, and enter in your own words what you've done to achieve soemthing, and if you haven't achieved it state why.. Is it because it was unfair? If it's unfair.. why? Etc..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.