Discomfort and pain in tummy due to diverticulitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was recently hospitalized for diverticulitis and still have discomfort, bloating in my tummy and feel lumps throughout.  I also feel like my tummy cannot handle certain foods yet... Is this normal?  I have a follow up appointment with my GI dr in a few days, but wanted to get some more information or speak to someone who has experienced this before.

How did you find relief?

What did you do to help with symptoms?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Are you out of the Hospital? We found that a baby food diet was best for a week out, then slowly introduce one food at a time to see what irritates your stomach. It's a process but it's better than living with the pain and having more flare ups. If your bloated and have discomfort you should be on antibiotics. Or still in the Hospital. They sent my Husband home to early and we were back again with a different antibiotic given through IV

• Posted

Shea7, thank you for your reply.  I am out of the hospital now.  When I left I was still on antibiotics which i just ended 3 days ago.  Since Monday, I have tried to introduce one new food item every other day.  So far, I am unable to eat anything else, except yogurt, applesauce, white bread, cheese, chicken and pears (caned in own juice).  I tried to eat some meat yesterday and exercise and I am paying for it today.  I feel bloated, like I want to get sick and have pain.  This is very frustrating.  I feel like I can't do or eat anything.... I really miss my salads. 

• Posted

What you are describing sounds totally normal.  It can take 4 - 6 weeks to start to feel more like your old self.  The drugs are very strong, have nasty side effects and take a week or so after you have finished them to get out of your system.  As you are seeing someone in a few days you should discuss all your symptoms with them.  Occasionally a 2nd course of medication is needed and certainly if the symptoms get worse you should go back to a doctor. I had niggling pains for 10 months after my last batch of flares, and 3 courses over a 3 month period.

In the meantime you should have been advised to stick to fluids only for a few days, then a low residue diet slowly introduced.  The idea is to give your bowel a rest before starting to reintroduce soluble fibre.  For pain I took paracetamol (Tylenol) and used a heat pad.  It will take time for the bowel symptoms, bloating etc to return to normal, as the medication strips out all the good bacteria along with the bad, and you need the good stuff to get your digestion working properly.  Many of us take a probiotic.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Felinia - thank you for your reply.   When I left I was still on antibiotics which i just ended 3 days ago.  Since Monday, I have tried to introduce one new food item every other day.  So far, I am unable to eat anything else, except yogurt, applesauce, white bread, cheese, chicken and pears (caned in own juice).  I tried to eat some meat yesterday and exercise (5 min bike ride) and I am paying for it today.  I feel bloated, like I want to get sick and have slight pain.  This is very frustrating. 

I have had my heating pad on all day to dull the pain.  I also feel like I have a lot of acid in my tummy. Not sure if this is normal also.  I tried to get into the Dr. sooner, but until I am established with my GI I can't get in any sooner.  I have to wait for a few more days. I just hope the next few weeks go fast so I can start to feel better.

• Posted

I don't think feeling bloated is good. Your diverticulitis must still be inflamed or there is possible obstruction too which my Hubby had and we ended up in the ER. I'd fast or keep to liquid diet, broth and gelatin until you have no more bloating. That's what they will have you do in the Hospital too. Are you pooping and passing gas? If not I'd go back to ER

• Posted

I am pooping, not passing gas though.  After a day of liquid diet I started to feel better again.  I am back to square one eating what I know i can eat. I have a Dr. appointment on the 16th so I am trying to hold out until then.

• Posted

Are you still on antibiotics?   These can give you the bloating and pain.  Also, you need to restore your gut flora.   The antibiotics kill all the good bacteria in your intestines,  A sterile bowel cannot function well.  So you need to get a prebiotic, and a probiotic.  find a whole foods store or a health food store and go in and ask for these.  you want a probiotic with a wide variety of organisms.  Drink a lot of good water, at least 8 glasses a day.  Avoid deep-fried foods, and spicey, and anything you know is a trigger for you.   You are not back to normal!  Also, the infection may not be all gone.   I took a grapefruit seed extract, in a tablet form, after my last episode of  diverticulitis, and I think it was my quickest recovery.   I still take some whenever I feel any abdominal distress.  Good luck, and God Bless.           
    • Posted

Thank you Traderkate for your help.  Yes I am done my antibiotics. I stopped those earlier this week. Since then I have tried to eat a couple new things, but my gut told me now. I paid for it up until the next day.  I went back to a liquid diet to help ease the pain.  I have an appointment on the 16th so I am just trying to get by until that time.  This is very discouraging, but I am trying not to let this disease win.  I will go to a natural store today to get the probiotic and prebiotic and start taking those.   Again, thank you so much for the advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.