discouraged and tired of the indigestion!

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I am so glad I have this forum to vent cause my family is really sick of me complaining...So I started with indigestion and crushing chest pains in 2009. I tried all the natural remedies I could until 2015 and I couldn't take the pain anymore and decided to give into the PPI's that everyone says are so horrible. After six years of horrifc pain and countless tests I had to give them a shot. I was diagnosed with a 2cm hh and severe reflux. I started the PPI's in Jan. 2015 and it was like a miracle. I could eat again and finally felt normal. This lasted until this May and then out of nowhere BOOM ...the indigestion came back full force! I am so discouraged I could just cry and want to die. I am out of ideas and options and want to get the Nissan surgery but am to scared. Oh well, just needed to vent. Thanks for reading and am open to suggestions. Yes, I do take probiotics and eat a bland diet full of chicken and veggies - no sweets either and only drink water. This is not living, its barely survival!! I am 42 and wondering if it may be hormonal. The doc says I have a weak LES.

4 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Not everyone says PPI are horrible, I think they are WONDERFUL too many say awful things about PPIs but they drive cars which kill people on a daily basis!!! 

what dose are you taking? Periodically I have to boost my PPI dose, do it with your Drs consent to settle,you back down again

i had what I thought was a flare up and it turned out to be something else. If it helps I take 30mg of Lanzoprozle and boost it with another 15mg during the day when I flare. 

Why are you scared of surgery, you are asleep so know nothing about it. 

• Posted

I am on 40mg...20 in the morning and 20mg in the evening if I needed it....the nissan surgery - I have heard positive things from many people but also some horror stories (like it didn't work and now they have more problems). The indigestion is just so painful...it's weird though - I never feel any burning...just chest pains...do you think there is damage still being done to my esophagus..I have had to scopes done and they found nothing wrong.
  • Posted

Hi,

I am too on 30mg of dispersible Lansoprazole a day and have been told that I can take up to two doses a day if needed and also been told that 300mg of Ranitidine can be used too on a bad day.  I find that PPI's definitely help its just if you come off them all of a sudden you can get bad side effects but have been told if you wean youself off them that is the best way to do it.  There are a few different types to try, I first started with Omeprazole but found Lansoprazole to be better.  May try and different kind that might suit you better.

Take care,

Amanda.

• Posted

Remember that PPIs also heal so its  another good reason for taking them. I would start again and give them time to work but as others have said you may need to adjust your dosage.

I didn't go down the syrgery route because my surgeon recommended managing the condition with drug therapy because of some of the things you can't do when you have it done. That was quite a few years ago and I believe it may be slightly different now and I know people who have had the op and are delighted with the outcome.  I think if I was given the option now I would get it done  if you can't control your condition with drugs, why be miserable when an operation will take that pain away.

• Posted

Hi dane,

I think I have the same problem as you. It started from almost a year ago. I occasionally get heartburn but I feelvery full after eating. The doctor said my LES doesnt close good and it will be like this rest of my life.

I try antiacids whenever required. I do diaphragm breathing exercises which helps. I know people that use PPIs. I used it for four months in start but left them becsuse I thought I csn manage it eithout them.

my diet s also very strict.

Surgery csn be an option but I guess we can try to go on eitjout it.

one tjing that helps me around is to manage my stress level when I dont feel goid. It helps.

good luck smile

• Posted

I get indigestion but not chest pain

After eating I feel very full and feel something in my throat.

I take probiotics and L-glutamine to help digestion and try not to drink water with my food and 1 hour after it

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up