Dislike change

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I have been doing really well controlling my anxiety and panic attacks recently. CBT has helped loads and on a day to day basis I'm mostly fine. My issue is with change, when I have to do new things and go out of my comfort zone it often brings back the anxiety and panic attacks. Does anyone have any experience of this?. I know avoidance behaviours are really unhelpful and the CBT has taught me that panic attacks are really just a collection of symptoms I don't need to fear but they still do bother me so that makes me avoid new things because I'm still avoiding having panic attacks. Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I used to have issues like this, and I still do to an extent.

how comfortable are you outside of your comfort zone?

• Posted

It really depends on the situation. I'm mostly okay going to work, being at home, seeing friends and family. Out of my comfort zone would be things like nights away from home, holidays, travel, being away from my boyfriend. Also I'm having to start a new job role at work which has brought all the anxiety back. So not good out of my comfort zone at all. I know I'm supposed to do things bit by bit but that's not always possible, sometimes things have to happen and I get very anxious.
    • Posted

you seem very similar to me lol.

Do you have a therapist or a counsellor or someone who is trained to help?

• Posted

Yes I see a really good CBT therapist. She is helping me to see the panic attacks as just symptoms that I don't need to fear and I know she is right it's just when they all come at once the physical symptoms do upset me so that's why I avoid things that trigger them.
    • Posted

perfect, it seems like you have a pretty good handle on it then, right?
  • Posted

Challenge it everytime. You know by now it will control your life otherwise.
    • Posted

I know you are right it really does restrict my life. It's not even the things I'm doing that I'm scared of its the resulting panic attacks even though I know they can't really hurt me.
    • Posted

The fear of fear. Its crazy isnt it? Has to be challanged and faced head on. You learned cbt you can do this! I went out for a walk a couple of days ago and had a panic attack..went to go home..the longest walk ever haha. When i got home i was angry at myself, grabbed a water and my phone and went back out. It happened again but i didnt go home and it calmed down. Then it started up again..you know how it works. I didnt give in and i have fainted in the past but you know what i dont care anymore i have to live. I kept walking and it calmed down and then i went home. I was happier for it. i dont care if its a mal function or not i can over ride it just have to deal with these mini rushes but stick it out. Its not a secret to anyone anymore. One in every four people have some issue anyway.  Im done being scared into some caged in life. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.