Dislike of being alone, anxiety sufferer

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Does anyone else feel uncomfortable being at home by themselves? I’ve been on citalopram for about 8 weeks now for depression and anxiety, and whilst my depression is better, the anxiety is taking longer to subside. I just find it hard to ‘switch off’ and relax when I’m at home and there’s no one there. If I’m home alone I end up trying to find things to keep me busy and my phone is never far from my reach. I don’t even like staying up past 9pm on my own, I end up taking myself off to bed. I’m fine if there’s others with me, but I feel like I’m always trying to ‘step out of my head’ when there’s no one else there and the ‘what if’s’ and scary thoughts keep trying to creep in. I understand that all of my feelings are heightened and more sensitive due to the anxiety, but it’s hard not being able to feel and be at peace in my own home. Does anyone have any tips that they use to help? 

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I get this feeling all the time I hate to be in other company sometimes tho because I block myself from the conversations and just sit there I feel so arrogant but I can’t help it so I feel as if they will talk about me behind my back but yet I can’t stay in home alone,I start thinking of the what ifs and stuff or I start overthinking the worst stuff! It’s a scary feeling 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.