Distressed over revision knee replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi thank you for reading.i had 2 partial knee replacements 3 years ago unfortunately they didn't work.had a revision total knee replacement 3 week ago from my thigh to my knee is very swollen I have no bend and can just about straighten it.im frustrated as I am still waiting physio for it the one I saw at the hospital said they couldn't do anything and I need the community physio urgent referral they rang one week ago and said they would be in touch with an appt still waiting although I have been on to them again this morning.my go has had to make two visits as I couldn't get the pain under control I've had no sleep in the last three week as pain is constant . I am using gel ice packs to help the swelling and keeping it elevated.i can only do two exercises which are the knee straight and push into the sofa or bed.and I can Bend it about one inch on the straight to bend exercises.im so sorry for waffling on I'm so frustrated that I'm getting no where I am using two crutches and weight baring but as I have to have the other knee done I'm finding it increasingly difficult with the pain in that knee taking all the strain.i still have to use my dressing gown cord to lift and move the new knee leg as I can't do the leg raises either please can anyone give me hope that it will ease and get better thank you for reading x

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

As you well know, you are early on at 3 weeks. Until you get the swelling down, which will take time, you won't start realizing bend. Be very senseable with your excercising. Do the best you can without hurting yourself. Are you wearing Ted hose? If not, a pair of those may help. Talk to your dr. for help and advice, both short and long term
    • Posted

Thank you for replying I have to wear those socks for another 3 weeks have had my own Dr out twice she explained that recovery will be longer than a normal knee replacement.its just frustrating that I'm doing everything right and getting nowhere.sorry to moan I feel I was just left with no help what so ever from the hospital even physio have not been to see me yet and that was an urgent request.on a positive note I have turned a corner today I think managed to walk without all the oohing and ahhhing I usually do lol.sorry for negativity was feeling really low 
    • Posted

You have every right to your feelings. Not being able to get responses from medical professionals is.......well......unprofessional. A good ripping probably wont make them better by migh t make you feel better. Just waking up feeling a little better is a positive but don't overdo it. Do you excercise but rest all you can. You are still in an early, delicate stage and have to place your your long health as your 1st priority. 6 weeks will show another set of benchmarks, then. 13 weeks, etc. It is a tough road and Dr's really don't give you the full story as far as damage and recovery pitfalls. Stay on here and these people will give you help. They have all been through it the hard way. Your Dr's and therapists only from the text book side.
    • Posted

Thank you for replying I see the surgeon again in 3 weeks been trying to get hold of physio still no luck..rang some private ones today but unfortunately they are very expensive so I will keep going as I am and hope for the best thankyou keeping my spirits up 
    • Posted

ohh tizzywoo i feel for you its so unfair you get the op and the follow up is soo poor surely its in there interest to get you the best possible result and that means physio A.S,A.P. oh i get soooo mad when i hear these things as we on here know how important the early weeks are
  • Posted

using the dressing gown cord to raise your leg is a good idea i used it for awhile after my revision ,the muscles after the revision were shot and it took alot of excersises to get muscles working so at 3wks is very early stage so dont fret about that id be more concerned about the lack of bend its frustrating waiting for physio to kick in i would if i were you get some private physio even if it is only till you get the physio that you should get because you are loosing valuable time to get the bend going pain is most likely because of lack of bend in the mean time use the tea tray on the floor and slide it back and forward and hold do at least 5 reps and do that at least 3times in the day please please work at the bend dont wait till physio is arranged i had my revision 12mths ago and i know how hard it is
    • Posted

Thankyou so much for your advice have sent my daughter out to get a tray I have been doing those exercises in a round about way I do find using the dressing gown cord very useful I use it under my foot so I can lift the whole leg straight on to the sofa and bed. It is the lack of bend that is worrying me also where the tourniquet was put round the top of my leg is still very painful like a elastic band tight round it stil very frustrating.thankyou agIn for your advice 
    • Posted

good to hear that you will try the tray i found that using it at the side of the bed is handy as you pull the tray back just hold it for a few seconds and push it forward and back at first just to warm it up dont rush it and after a few goes even if you dont think your not bending it much dont get upset as it will loosen give it time every time you do it hold it when you bring it back even if its only a few seconds you will not make progress if you dont start so good luck it will work give it time and patients !!! i know we are all low in that  !!! haha!!! also what i found fantastic was an excersise ball to sit on it and use the ball to help with the bend i use it when looking at the telly and at the same time get the knee moving at a relaxed pace
  • Posted

Hi

I would not advise using a dressing gown cord to raise your knee/leg because you  are applying  a lot of as well as strain onto allready tender muscles, tendons, ligaments and tissues as well as nerves and blood vessels.

The cord will dig in irritating the nerves in the leg and knee.You are making things much worse by doingthis.

Best to use a specially designed leg/knee raiser that a physio or orthopaedic dept could recomend or google one on the net OR I would also consider using a wide piece of material say a towel folded lengthwise and use that.  ecause the circumference is wider the pressure will be more evenly distributed and therefore not so irritating to the tissues, the nerves, blood vessels, muscles and ligaments.

be more evenly distributed and hopefully not irritate he sciatic nerve and the blood vessels in your thigh and leg.

. I would also advise ringing round physios in your area and ask if you can speak to you or ring you back . Phyios are usually very helpful and respond to being asked for advice.Obviously explain the problem and mention that pain killers , ice packs are not helping etc.

Inquire about using a TENS machin aand ask if ullra sound  would help.

Good luck.

Jean

• Posted

Hi tizzywoo

UGH!

I would not advise using a dressing gown cord to raise your knee/leg because you  are applying  a lot of  pressure as well as strain onto allready tender muscles, tendons, ligaments and tissues as well as nerves and blood vessels.

The cord will dig in irritating the nerves in the leg and knee.You are making things much worse by doingthis.

Best to use a specially designed leg/knee raiser that a physio or orthopaedic dept could recomend or google one on the net OR I would also consider using a wide piece of material say a towel folded lengthwise and use that.  ecause the circumference is wider the pressure will be more evenly distributed and therefore not so irritating to the tissues, the nerves, blood vessels, muscles and ligaments.

be more evenly distributed and hopefully not irritate he sciatic nerve and the blood vessels in your thigh and leg.

. I would also advise ringing round physios in your area and ask if you can speak to you or ring you back . Phyios are usually very helpful and respond to being asked for advice.Obviously explain the problem and mention that pain killers , ice packs are not helping etc.

Inquire about using a TENS machin aand ask if ullra sound  would help.

Good luck.

Jean

• Posted

Hi thankyou for your reply.i use the dressing cord around the arch of my foot so I can lift the whole leg straight to sofa and bed it is a thick belt my apologies not a thin cord.i have rang physics but unfortunately are too expensive at this moment in time.will get back onto the community ones on Monday.was wondering about the tens machine as I have one already which I use for back and neck problems never used one on my knee.thankyou again for keeping me hopeful advice is much appreciated
    • Posted

look using a dressing gown belt to raise your leg wont do any harm you are not putting a strain on your leg hospital physios tell you to do this as at the begining leg raises are difficult because muscles are weak you put the belt around your foot while sitting on the bed using your arms lift the leg keeping it straight do this repeating it 3-5 times a few times a day every time you do this relax your grip a little more each time and in a very short time you wont need the belt it really is used as a guide and gives you confidence after my revision my leg would not lift an inch off the bed and it was scary so my physio got me going with this trick it really helped me and in less than a week it started to lift not very much at the begining and not for very long but it was a life saver as it puts no pressure on your leg id say jean you were miss informed about this
    • Posted

yes you can use a tens machine as i too was wondering about this physio told me to use it just start off at lower first and increase if you have used one before you will know
    • Posted

Hi Irish Linda

I was under the impression that tizzywoo was using a dressing gown cord, a belt would be fine. Jean

• Posted

a cord or a belt or even a long towel would do it just as good because your not putting a strain on the leg your just aiding it to lift it  maybe you thought that she might be stretching it or keeping it too rigid and end up pulling tendons and ligaments that wont happen so it wont hurt only aid

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.