Distressed over revision knee replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi thank you for reading.i had 2 partial knee replacements 3 years ago unfortunately they didn't work.had a revision total knee replacement 3 week ago from my thigh to my knee is very swollen I have no bend and can just about straighten it.im frustrated as I am still waiting physio for it the one I saw at the hospital said they couldn't do anything and I need the community physio urgent referral they rang one week ago and said they would be in touch with an appt still waiting although I have been on to them again this morning.my go has had to make two visits as I couldn't get the pain under control I've had no sleep in the last three week as pain is constant . I am using gel ice packs to help the swelling and keeping it elevated.i can only do two exercises which are the knee straight and push into the sofa or bed.and I can Bend it about one inch on the straight to bend exercises.im so sorry for waffling on I'm so frustrated that I'm getting no where I am using two crutches and weight baring but as I have to have the other knee done I'm finding it increasingly difficult with the pain in that knee taking all the strain.i still have to use my dressing gown cord to lift and move the new knee leg as I can't do the leg raises either please can anyone give me hope that it will ease and get better thank you for reading x

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Early days yet! Don't be so hard on yourself. I had total knee replacement 4 months ago,still using one crutch & going to see my GP on 29th for advice re more possible physio. I got depressed as I know somebody who said he drove within 6 weeks, I tried it the other night & my knee swelled up & pain was awful. Believe me you WILL get better, I had my exercises increased each time I saw hospital physio, I saw them 4 times after I left hospital & felt sessions were rather rushed although the physios were great. I also felt stressed by the fact I had to live with my sister, she has an adopted son with special needs & I felt it was too much for her which she denies. I came home after 10 weeks & she only agreed when to when I could finally manage my steep stairs but came round every day after taking my nephew to school!. Please don't expect too much too soon, I fell twice trying to rush things! My pain did ease & the horrible bruising on my leg which I was totally unprepared for eventually faded. The consultant told me every patient is different, after 6 months some feel better, some 12-18 months before they feel they have turned the corner, I hope this helps because although you cannot see it at the moment you improve but it takes TIME! Take care & remember there are lots of people on this site who can relate to your situation & can offer encouragement, they helped me cope with mine.
    • Posted

Hi Marie

I know that stairs makes my knee swell and hurt , I have a meniscal tear not operated on .

Rest then just taking a few steps to maintain or build up muscle tone every 30 to 40 minutes can prevent postural stress and increase/maintein muscle tone.

Drawing in the abdominal muscles strengthens the core muscles in the back.

• Posted

Thank you for reply & your advice, very much appreciated. Just got ice pack on my knee as I type as it swelled up after walking round local precinct. You take care biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.