diverticula

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I have just had another flare; this is the 4th since Dec 2016. I was on antibiotics

for 5 days and a low fiber diet and I still am on the diet, but I am still have some tenderness in lower left side not severe but uncomfortable. I seem to relict that this happens because of healing.  Can anyone tell me if this mild pain is just the healing process.

Many Thanks 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

The pain afte a flareup can go on for weeks or months your colon will still be inflammed even though not infected. Be careful what you eat. After my infection my stomach took 5 months to feel better and even now l have twinges. Make sure you dont get constipated and that your stools are soft so pass easily through your colon
    • Posted

Hi Christine, Thanks for your reply it is very informative as i was getting very worried it was starting up again 

and the last thing I want is to end up in hospital.

many thanks 

• Posted

When you are on low fibre it is so difficult not to get constipated.  Always worries me.  Do any of you get bloated with DD?
    • Posted

I get bloated. It is dangerous to get constipated as you can get a blockage l take cosmocol every day, its a mild laxtive and softens your stools some people take fybogel but l find that too harsh for my stomach and causes painful bloating. Its a matter of preference.
    • Posted

I get horrible bloating and pain. I am now taking a stool softener. It's hard to know when to eat and what to eat.

• Posted

Kim my bloating isnt quite as bad now l take cosmocol stool softener ive slso cut out foods that bloat me, bread also fresh veg gives me cramps but l seem fine with frozen veg trial and error and a diary of what foods you have eaten on the days you are bloating then eliminate them from your diet. I cannot eat peppers now as they cause me bloating and pain.
    • Posted

Hi Christine. I had DD 8 weeks ago. Hospital 7 days , very sick.its taking me a long time to recover, I'm interested to read that the pain can go on for months, as I am still having bad cramps just before ok go to toilet in morning, and vague cramps, not bad during the day,. I wasn't sure if this was normal after such a long time, and just not feeling 100%. I have read some people recover quite quickly. I haven't read much of people who take longer. 

• Posted

Yes indeed this is the healing period (as Christine says) can go on for weeks/months. The soreness is exacerbated by antibiotics which have probably wiped out all the good bacteria. So as soon as I'm on anything like normal food I reintroduce pre and probiotics. I wish you well - regards Pete

• Posted

Hi Tom

Yes. Probiotics are the "good' bacteria that live in the gut. These get wiped out by antibiotics. You can get these in tablet form or as yoghurt supplements (like Yakult or Actimel for example). Prebiotics are the foods like garlic onions and leeks et al which nurture probiotic bacteria and provide the best conditions for the probiotics to survive and thrive. There's lots of info if you Google either and see much more than I have mentioned. Regards Pete

• Posted

Hi Peter, I thought that's what they were but just checkin. I take Actimel 3times a day 

best regards Tom

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up