Diverticula Bleed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Around a month ago I had a bad diverticula bleed and just wondering if anyone else has experience of this?  Here's what happened in my case.

?Thursday evening needed the loo suddenly and passed extremely bloody loose stool, went during night and again in morning, anyhow went to A & E and ended up admitted on Friday, put on Transexamic Acid to stop the bleeding.  Discharged on Sunday and given antibiotics to take (had no fever or pain so not sure as to why).  Back to work on Monday and then Monday evening started with diarrhoea (could of been the antibiotics causing this) but it was basically just blood coming out every 15 mins or so, took myself back to A & E, discharge letter in hand (had only been 24 hours or so) but made to wait for 5 hours until I collapsed from the loss of blood, I think my body was in shock!  Ended up in Resus with drips, monitors and many doctors around me - very traumatic time.  Was given more Transexamic acid via drip and admitted again for another 6 day and was given a blood transfusion on the Thursday as my blood count hadn't recovered enough from the amount of blood lost.  

?Long story I know but was sent home on the Sunday and then for colonoscopy on the Thursday, they only got to the sigmoid and it had to be abandoned due to the pain it caused but did say they saw diverticulosis.  Have now had a CT colonography and am waiting results. 

?Can't seem to find much about anyone else having such an experience and would be interested to know as I am obviously worried that it will happen again and now also have a fear of going back to A & E and being ignored by staff again when I tell them how bad the bleeding was.  Also no idea as to how or what I should be doing to aid recovery.

?Thanks for taking the time to read this.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Coraline, I also get diverticula bleeds, one was very bad and resulted in a short hospital stay.

My doctor said I lost two pints of blood, I  collapsed when they got me to stand up to check my blood pressure etc. 

So far I have had four bleeds.I have Tranexamic Acid tablets to help stop the bleeds.

So far I have taken them on one occasion.

I was told it would be very difficult to operate to stop the bleeding.

So you are not alone in this.

Barry

• Posted

Hi Barry 

?Thanks so much for your reply, I'm glad to know its not just me but do feel for you as its quite a frightening thing to happen.  Would you mind if I ask you a few questions about how your condition and how you manage it.

?What time period did you have the bleeds over, are they quite regular or very spaced out?  Do you have to go to a & e each time or can you just go to your GP?  Does your GP let you keep Transexamic Acid at home in case?  Do you have to watch your diet at all?  

?Thanks again for your response.

• Posted

Hello, I have found the bleeds are random.

I have gone two years but then it just starts again, so no pattern.

My doctor has given me 60 Tranexamic Acid  500 mg tablets.

I was told to take three twice a day on the start of bleeding

I have only used them once so far, they did the trick.

To be honest I do not watch my diet, but I suppose I should.

Unforgettably we just have to live with it.

Barry

• Posted

Any update? We found a little bit of blood in my Husbands stool. Still don't know whats causing it except maybe the swollen pockets?

• Posted

Hi, had the CT colonography on 17th April and still waiting to hear results, hopefully will know more when the consultant gets in touch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.