Diverticula pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

For about the last couple of weeks i have been experiencing lower abdominal pain, diarrhoea and constipation plus generally tired. Do you think have got a flare up of diverticular disease

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, have you been diagnosed with diverticular disease? If not, see your GP asap and tell him/her your symptoms. I must say it does sound like a flare - I know when I have a flare coming I feel exceptionally tired, stomach cramps, constipation etc so it could be. Do you have s temperature? Sweat at night? If so you will prob need a course of antibiotics which always does the trick for me. Don't wait, see your gp and get some advice. I have tried to do without antibiotics in the past but became so ill and feverish and lost a stone in weight. All the best.

• Posted

Yes got diagnosed last year with diverticular disease I had a camera.
    • Posted

Well definitely see your gp - metronidazole and cefalexin are the two antibiotics usually given (different names in the States) don't wait, very rarely can you manage a bad flare without them. You will get really good advice on this website, every person who has this horrible disease is able to tolerate different foods, it's trial and error I'm afraid. We're all told by docs more fibre but that causes me to have a flare - I am on low residue diet, white bread, white pizza base, white pasta, no root vegetables, no pork beef lamb (too fibrous). It works for me! I generally only get a flare once a year and as soon as I feel sweaty, uncomfortable etc I take the antibiotics . My doc lets me always keep some at home so I can take them with me if I go on hol or when I go to my daughter's to babysit - he calls it 'pill in the pocket ' and mentally it's good to know you have them if needed (I do think that sometimes stress will bring me problems). Had bleeding couple months ago, had a colonography ct scan as my colon is now too narrow for a normal colonoscopy, consultant told the junior doc in there that I was totally correct to be on low residue as fibre would cause problems! However others will be able to eat lots of fibre with no problems! I hope you find the right way to manage this and send my good wishes.

• Posted

Hi Clareybear

Go to Docs and get it checked out and keep getting it checked out. Its the only way to get anything done. I had numerous diverticulitis flare ups last year. Not bad enough for hospitalisation but certainly bad enough!!  I tried everything and did everything possible over the last 4 years to keep it at bay but nothing worked. I spent every day of the last year with low abdominal pain and throbbing in my rectum. Was so tired and depressed with it all.  Had antibiotics about every six weeks but to no avail.  Finally had elective surgery…. removal of sigmoid colon in January this year and feeling so much better.  Have my life back again.  Can’t tell  you how much better I am. I feel normal again!!

Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Regards

Annie

• Posted

Where abouts is the pain left or right abdomen
    • Posted

both really, all across the lower stomach. ownly had cereal for my dinner had working night shiftsas a nurse.Mada a doctors apponitment for next week.
    • Posted

Next week?  If you can get one sooner that would be good - if you get a fever, sweats etc go sooner.  Maybe just  fluids for a couple of days, soups with no lumps!  Plenty of water, I try to drink 1 litre a day at least, and I take 10ml lactulose (stool softener from chemist)  every morning and evening.  I would say avoid anything that gives you wind too.  Extra  difficult for you working nights.  Thinking of you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.