Diverticula’s Flare

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, Can anyone help and tell me, what are the symptoms of a flare as I think I may be starting with another. Feel tired weak, unwell, slight nagging pain lower left side. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Thomas

Sorry to hear you are not so good today.  It sounds like it might possibly be the beginning of another flare.  Do you have other symptoms like chills, sickness, bowel problems?  I remembered you from a post a month ago, to which I replied.  I had a look at your other posts and replies to remind myself.  Would I be right in thinking it has never gone completely away?  I recall you have had Diverticulosis confirmed by tests and one surgeon thought surgery was necessary.  I too was told that by one Consultant, but the 2nd said NO, manage with diet and lifestyle.  My cousin, who is a medical person, advised against surgery unless there was medical necessity, like a blockage or fistula (you would know if you had that from the severe pain!!).  What is your position regarding surgery now?

The other possibility is, if the symptoms are mild, you are still healing from the original flare.  It can take weeks or months for the pain to go completely.  I still get twinges from a flare last August, as it takes a long time for the insides to heal, and I believe there can also be scar tissue which causes niggles.  I also still have good and bad days.

To be on the safe side I suggest you go back on the liquid, no fibre diet, and see how you feel in 24 - 48 hours.  I know I am hyper sensitive to every niggle now and it is best to get on top of things as soon as possible.  Obviously if it gets worse, then back to the GP, or if you are particularly worried. 

• Posted

Hi Felina, yes I recall you replying to my post to which I’m very grateful. Yes you would be right in thinking it has never gone completely away, In fact I have been thinking the same myself, I think it hasn’t ever gone away from day one.  Yes I am having Chills and hot sweats bad taste in my mouth it seems to affect my whole body but no sickness or bowel problems. The symptoms are mild and I am glad someone has told me it can take a while to get better, so here’s hoping that’s just what it is. On Saturday I was brilliant and thought things were at last coming to an end but since then I have been terrible. It seems to be a little better this afternoon, I tried to get an appointment with my Dr today but they say they have nothing until 27th March.   (YES it’s been confirmed) 

As for surgery it has been mentioned but I have been told I have a big problem with surgery as I have a pacemaker and defibrillator implant, which he says, causes major problems. The Dr a surgeon has passed me to someone else so will have to wait and see but I definitely do not want surgery many thanks for the reply. Ps can you tell me can I eat chips as I do miss my favourite meal Egg n Chips J

• Posted

Hi Thomas

I think if the symptoms become more severe you should persevere, at least for more antibiotics.  Better safe than in hospital!  I got a repeat prescription over the phone only yesterday for one of my other medical conditions, just by doing a home test, and giving the symptoms and readings over the phone.  Our GP has a 4+ week wait for appointments, but also has a daily duty doctor for emergencies, and a daily 5 minute phone appointment system for known problems, medications etc.

Ah - chips!  Not something I eat very often, but when I do, they don't give me any problems.  But I think it depends on what your trigger foods are, and how you cook them.  For some people fried food is a big NO.  I tend to have a few baked oven chips, and I cook my egg in a special one egg non stick mini pan, with just a couple of sprays of 1-Cal, so minimal fat.  But the proof of the pudding as they say.  If you try a few chips and have a reaction, then you will have your answer.  Good luck!

• Posted

Thats how mine starts so i go on liquid diet for 24 hrs if it's still there another 24 hrs than if still bad antibiotics unfortunately I started a flaire up yesterday as I took fibregel which done agree with me

• Posted

Hi just put a post on to Felina hope ypu can all read, it thanks to you all for you posts 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.