Diverticulitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

well I came down with diverticulitis 3 months ago......I tell myself it could always be 10 times worse.  

I find i have have been staying away from fried foods and any take out and things seem to be better.

i find If I get stressed I will be making more than normal visits to the bathroom.

as far as eating, it's trial and error.  Chicken seems to be good for me...red meat not so much. I eat lots of fruit......bananas, mango, pare, apples,.....I make smoothies with yoghart.  There are a few juices I buy that is loaded with vitimins and fruit which I find good.

its easy to feel down when I am not feeling the best......I feel like I have someone's bowel and I need to accept it, which I am trying to do....I am lucky my hubby is so understanding.

i had chocolate on Valentine's Day and didn't feel so good.......does anyone eat red meed and feel ok...I was wondering about those 2 foods.

i also take probiotics which I think is really good....also if I think I should be visiting the bathroom more often in a day...I will take a laxative...it is a very mild one.   Thanks for reading everyone. smile 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Red meat is a little tough on me as well as fried foods. Too much chocolate is also not so good. My sis with diverticulitis cannot eat dark chocolate.. It is all trial and error. Your diet sounds good for those with diverticulitis as well as healthy people. We are what we eat after all.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for replying........Every little bit of info sure helps, I find it difficult not knowing anyone with this problem. Thanks again, much appreciated
  • Posted

It really is trial and error. You think you have cracked it to be proven wrong the following week.

I find one big NO NO is do not over eat. Pig out and pay for it. I use probiotict and chacoal tabs. Pluse fybergel. If spasms occur -buscapan.If a flare up last more than a week I stop the lot and take antibiotics. Fortunetly my GP. lets me keep a course in the cupboard. As he says Iam the best person to know whats happening and control best I can.He will provide the pills but leave to me to work out the best way to use them Problem is evey case of DD is different and there is no magic cure.

• Posted

Hi Anna, like you I have this awful complaint.  I also think that red meat is not good for the digestive system as I am sure that I feel worse the next day after I have eaten it.  I read that red meat takes a lot longer to go through the system than chicken or fish.  I eat a lot of chicken and find that I am O.K. with that.   The same with chocolate as you say, I find that a couple of squares are O.K. but not a whole bar.

I have often thought about taking a mild laxative for when I feel heavy and uncomfortable but have worried that I may be doing the wrong thing and makes things worse.  I find myself not wanting to go out so that I am not far from our own bathroom.  

People without this complaint do not understand what it is like, it does make one feel very lonely.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.