diverticulitis

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was diagnosed with a mild case of diverticulitus 1 week ago i have taken all the antibiotics, flagyl & cipro for the full 7 days, but i still am going to the bathroom as soon as i eat, when will it go away ????  should i go back to the er ?  i have no blood, no pain just go to bathroom as soon as i eat something  sad

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Did you take a probiotic while taking the antibiotics? sounds like a reaction to them rather than the diver. I took align [which is alittle different than other probiotics] while on antibiotics. Antibiotics made me sick .hate them
  • Posted

Try liquid like smoothies etc give your colon a week or so to recover no pips seeds nuts etc that can affect your DV. It will settle down. It sounds like this is what has happens and that you have an infected DV. You really have to change your diet
  • Posted

It just may be that you are having an allergic reaction to one of the antibiotics,

your unwanted symptoms mirror mine , most antibiotics usually try and fast track 

me to the mortuary ,so ,my  G P tries different ones, that are toilet free 

I now keep a list of "Good " and "bad " tablets  ,as the names are impossible to remember.

• Posted

sometimes the latent pain is just soreness where the infection was,and

is now healing . You will learn to recognise hurting ,Diverticula pain, and the sore, softer pain, of eating something that is the problem

• Posted

Sometimes it's the antibiotics that cause this. Once you've finished the course you should give it a couple of days as long as you're not in pain. If you're in pain, the infections still there and you need more intervention.
  • Posted

You now need lots of fiber intake to bulk up yor stool either through fruit and veg or a fiber supplement.it will take awhile to settle down and for your body to adjust to the fiber,introduce the fiber slowly.
  • Posted

Yes really do you know where the DV is? And how much? S problem area is the sigmoid this is the last u bend before exit. It affects 50 percent of people over 50 and goes up with age ie if your 80 you have about 80 percent chance of having it. It's very common in your second half of your century. Diet is important not to eat any seeded stuff even strawberries for example so just be mindful. Keep up your fiber. It's important to keep a check up every couple of years for polyps that can later become cancerous in later life and can be prevented and removed if seen at you colonoscopy exam. At this time they will take samples and test for colitis. Do you know if this was mentioned as this can cause same issues along with weight loss. Please ask as micro colitis is not always picked up unless they test as they cannot see by camera alone.
  • Posted

Hello Jayne, During and shortly after a bout; you need to have a very low fibre diet until things settle down; high fibre when you are well.  Also as many have told you; antibiotics can leave you with diarrhoea as they distroy the good bacteria in your gut.  Take a probiotic like high strength Acidophilis from Holland and Barrett (UK based).  I am not taking these all the time and am now into my sixth month without a bout (following ten bouts in as many months!!).   My advice would be to NOT have that high fibre diet as there may well still be some gut inflammation and you need to treat it gently with thin soups; white rice; eggs - that sort of thing.  And for your future - no seeds, nuts, pips or skins - ever again; to avoid the problem starting up with them getting into the pouches.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.