Diverticulitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Diagnosed with diverticulitis this morning for the first time, taking 2 antibiotics and am advised if the pain doesn't go away in next 48 hours I should rush to ER. Any advice ??

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

how was you diagnosed by what test?  Don't miss a does of antibotics did they give u flaygal and Cipro?  

• Posted

No test, they did a blood test but i don't have results yet. I had a lower left abdominal pain for last 2 days. I went to see the doc today, didn't have any advance indication. Yes, Cipro and flaygal and Tylenol. Pain is not going away.  

• Posted

Were you advised to sip/drink clear fluids and avoid eating solid food and have bed rest?

As advised by a previous replier, follow your Dr's advice.

When I was first diagnosed I was very scared, but thankfully after taking medication for the first 12 hours or so, pain etc started to improve.

As time goes bye you will find a lot of helpful and supportive comments on this site. But, do remember your Dr's advise if you are not happy that things are improving.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Sheila

I was told my symptons sounded as though it could be diverticulosis.I had a colonoscopy and ct scan approx 6 to 8 weeks later which confirmed it. Symptons had subsided by then. The investigations were simple and not uncomfortable, but I had built it up in my mind to be much worse than it actually was.

It takes a while to get your mind around it all. I'm not sure I have yet, and I was diagnosed a year ago.

• Posted

Sorry  Sheila, I meant to say diverticulitis.

Diverticulosis is when you have pouches in the bowel which are not causing problems. Diverticulitis is when these pouches become inflamed and cause unpleasant symptoms.

Another contributor to this site has commented that if you live in USA you tend to have investigations more quickly than if you live in UK. I am uk based.

• Posted

I was diagnosed September last year and still haven't got my head around it. Some days I am feeling positive but others negative. I am going to a concert tomorrow evening first time I have really been anywhere since I was diagnosed. I hope I won't need the toilet can't take spare underwear with me because they search your bag

• Posted

Hi Susan

Your comment about needing the toilet suddenly is one of the aspects you are brave enough to admit. Well done to you for that. I too am very concerned about going away from home for whatever reason. I make sure I always have medication eg. buscopan as prescribed by GP with me.

Have you considered disposable protective knickers? Can be bought at chemists and online. They are classed as incontinence aids which may put people off considering them. They are a bit bulkier than ordinary knickers but if it means you feel more confident in going to a special event then I personally would give them a go.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the concert.

• Posted

I do wear them they are really comfy. I always map out toilets before I go anywhere just incase. I am disabled so I have a disabled toilet key so don't get embarrassed if I have a mishap. Thank you but I think I just accept that needing the toilet urgent is part of DD x

• Posted

Yes, I am US based. This episode was so sudden, no advance indication, I had a lower abdominal pain on May 17, went to see the doc on 19th and was diagnosed with diverticulitis. Still in shock, as I didn't see that coming. I didn't have a history of diarrhea or constipation.  It's a weekend here and I am advised if the pain doesn't go away go to the ER immediately. Thanks for telling me that investigations were not uncomfortable. Appreciate it.

• Posted

Susan, thanks for sharing your experience with us. Toilet emergency is part of diverticulitis for rest of patient's life???

• Posted

I am also US based and recently diagnosed. It started about a week prior with stomach pain in the lower left abdomen with some diarrhea and some constipation. Went in to the Dr when it didn't improve and they sent me for a CT scan within the hour. Confirmed the diagnosis and put me on Cipro and Metro-something.

• Posted

You are so lucky in the US it take a lot longer to get diagnosed in the UK I was lucky my dr put me down the 2 week cancer protocol but I believe I have had DD for years just never went to Drs with it until it got bad
    • Posted

How many days did it take you to feel better?  I am also taking 2 antibiotics, it started without any warning. No diarrhea and no constipation. 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up