Diverticulitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just lately I have found that if I do not take a Loperiamide tablet I get a very loose tum and I mean loose.It is ruining my lifestyle I cannot go out at all without taking tablets, . Does anyone take it daily? Is it safe to do so?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Loperamide (which is sold as Imodium in the UK) is a commonly used drug for diarrhoea, If your pattern of symptoms has changed, as you describe, for more than two weeks, you really need to be talking to a medical professional to find out why you are having such loose stools, and what the best treatment for your condition might be, because the tablet only deals with the symptoms and not the cause.
  • Posted

i have diverticulitus and that is why I have been prescribed the Loperiiamide . I am wondering if switching to wholewheat bread has not helped the situation and have gone back to white bread for a while. Not only that buy I also started to have Bran for breakfast.I will tone down the fibre for a while.
  • Posted

you should keep a food diary to see what affects your bowels an what not. Wholemeal bread goes through me like a needle through butter!
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with Diverticular Disease following a Sigmoidoscopy about 10 years ago. Despite initial consultation and advice on diet (which I follow), I suffer almost continual gut ache. I take Meberverine which I don't find at all useful and co-codamol. My motions are usually regular but, when I have a flare up - not only do I have increased gut pain but I also have to evacuate 3 or 4 times a day. The problem is further compounded by making my anus very sore. I use Sudocreme to eae the soreness. What else can I do? Wind and farting is a constant. Not only embarrassing but inhibiting.
  • Posted

Hi all and John,

firstly for farting etc I would take charcoal tablets, they work wonders but if you want to chew them clean your teeth after wards and don;t show anyone your tounge!. I usually suck them away form my teeth for obvious reasons.

Now I have gallstones and DD so I am experimenting with various things.

DD is the result of acid in the body and if you alkalinise your body it might help. Food combining is something to look at . Look up Sherry Brescia. she is nutritionist who has had IBS and found things for herself.

I have to say I must be bloody lucky I have never had a flare up TOUCH WOOD!!

• Posted

Hi Everyone, I have recently been diagnosed with diverticulosis. I have been through all the usual tests including ct scan, and the results are that I have numerous diverticuli. My doctor told me not to take loperamide and prescribed me fybogel. I have been taking it now for about 8 weeks and after this time I am beginning to get to know what causes the awful chronic diarrhea that I've had for 5 months.. I have had to stop drinking wine, eating tomato based sauces like Bolognese and spicy curries ( also tomato based). I also avoid onions. I'm experimenting all the time and at the moment I find white bread is fine, so is oat based cereals. Eggs, cheese, and anything that is not acidic seems to be okay. I do get a lot of smelly wind with the fybogel and I am experimenting with indigestion remedies. The one I use at the moment is 'windsetlers' taken 2 before each meal. This certainly calmes it down and save embarrassment when out and about. I haope this helps all you fellow sufferers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.