Diverticulitis age 22

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, for the past 8 months I've been experiencing constipation, lower left abdominal pain and a lot of mucus in my stool. I have been referred to a consultant who has made me do a faecal calprotectin test and I will be having an ultrasound soon. He suspects that I have diverticulitis however my GP laughed at me when I told him this! Apparently it is not possible because I am only 22. The only other thing the consultant suggested was cancer which I realise is rare for my age.

The past few days things have got worse. I have 2 large lumps next to my anus, they are painful to touch and sitting is very painful. I have had an outbreak of some sort of boils on my chin which swelled up to the size of a 50p piece! With all this I am feverish and the pain in my stomach is becoming unbearable. I went to the doctors yesterday who only looked at my face and prescribed antibiotics. They have had no effect as of yet.

Should I be more worried about this/ go to a&e if the pain continues? Or does anyone have any advice on what I can do or what it can possible be?

The lumps near my anus are very deep in the skin and they will not drain no matter what I do.

Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hiya, i have recently been told i have diverticular disease as was admitted to hospital with a bowel perforation. I am 23 years old and have had no symptoms in the past but now since i became unwell they have been constant with pain, nausea and diahorrea. I have to have a flexi sigmoidoscopy soon to confirm this.

In response to yourself i would defo go to a&e as you may need to be tret wih antibiotics intravenously and they would maybe help out the spots you are getting too. If you want to ask any more questions just give me a shout.

Get well soon x

• Posted

Hi All

Seem very young to get diverticular disease. Lumps you can feel in your anus are haemorrhoids which may need banding - should not really get piles either at your age but it can happen. I am surprised you have not had a colonsopcopy yet either. Diverticular disease and perforation is very serious. - you can end up with colostomy bag if they decide to operate. Is that what you have now as I believe it is the only way to cure bowel perforation - to have one temporarily for 6 months until they can repair the perforation?

Also the pain for diverticular disease is different and can get very severe in the left hand abdo side. Nothing to do with sitting down. I have had to take morphine to settle it sometimes it was so bad. I was admitted to hospital and now they have found I had medium sized polyps. It does sound more like very bad haemorrhoids and hope you have taken a second opinion or are you going privately? Best wishes for you good health.

• Posted

First of all Kate thanks for replying, I am due for ultrasound scan on 15th August which hopefully will give me some answers.

Sila, I think you have got confused from what I have written. I did not have piles, I had pus filled cysts on my buttocks which hurt to sit, not piles! They finally burst after 2 weeks.

My consultant referred me for sigmoidoscopy but they decided against it. My constipation is continuous and getting worse every week. I feel like I need to go all the time but nothing happens, severe stabbing pain on lower left abdomen and if I feel my abdomen it is painful and can feel 2 large painful lumps.

Thanks for your replies it means a lot, it's difficult not being able to talk to your family about this stuff!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.