Diverticulitis Flare Up

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis in October 2014 after an emergency admission which had been misdiagnosed for 3 days as a bladder infection.

I had complications with an abscess and a small perforation.

I was kept nil by mouth for 4 days in case they needed to operate and fit a stoma, which I narrowly avoided.

I had a sigmoidoscopy 2 weeks after leaving hospital but it had to be terminated at my descending colon due to the amount of pain it was putting me through.

Apart from the initial debriefing after this I haven't heard a thing, no follow up appointment. Unassuming everything was ok.

Anyway, 6 months on I have been ok until this week.

I have pain, nausea when I eat, feel drained and tired and I also have diarrhoea as well as bad reflux to the point it is burning my throat.

I have been given antibiotics to ward of any infection.

The worst thing is the feeling that you are on your own because it really gets to you.

I am trying not to panic as this makes the symptoms worse.

Is what I am feeling normal? It's really getting me down even after 2 doctors have told me that my bowel seems to feel ok in that there are no lumps and bumps that shouldn't be there.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I refused any tubes up or down! Insisted on a mri scan which I got, This confirned GPs dionostic of  DD.
  • Posted

Hi andyglavesy,

Unfortunately many people with diverticulitis is left feeling like they are on there own because outside of the antibiotics the doctors really don't know what to do.  This blog is the best place you could have come because people on here can give you there advice based on there expericence.  Me personally had to figure it out on my own through trial and error.  I will say that first you will need to do a short term liquid diet whenever you experience pain or a flare up.  Your system is very sensitive during that time and needs rest from processing food.  Drink plenty of water and slowing introduce you system back to fiber and solid foods.  Take probiotics everyday to restore the good bacteria because antibiotics distroys the good bacteria which is needed in your gut.  As you eat certain foods and you notice it doesn't agree with you then you must eliminate them.  I hope this is at least a start to helping you understand this condition.

• Posted

Welcome to this forum. You are not alone, there are people here who will understand. I haven't been anywhere near as bad as you, but I wish you well. Just remember, if you are worried then speak to your GO and don't be robbed off. Good luck. Alix
  • Posted

Andy please please get some help

I was experiencing dreadful pain recently and my GP said it was just a "flare up" but I knew the pain was worse than that

Straight to A&E and got sorted

Seems my GP got it wrong

Don't wait....get some help!

Take Care

• Posted

I feel just like that when I have a flare. Apart from the reflux. Sounds to me you have some gas?! Nothing unusual either. Can be some IBS intertwined with your diverticular disease which is also very common. I take overcounter ibs kolanticon when i feel gassy. Works for me.

I agree if you don't feel right go a and e. Especially if you not had your bloods checked. They will do set of bloods, pending results ct with contrast or MRI if they suspect perforation or abcess. This is what I do when I feel flare coming on. At least I know from bloods if I ruptured or not. A flare is not necessarily something that will respond to antibiotics. Two separate studies have shown no signs of reduced period of sickness in uncomplicated diverticulitis when antibiotics and place bo were used. The time frame for recovery was the same for both antibiotics and placebos. However if you have complications you might run fever, above 38 degrees. You will have raised inflammatory markers on your blood test. This warrants antibiotics and even surgical input. With complications I mean perforation, abscesses, fistulas. This is the complicated stage they speak of.

There is a condition referred to as smouldering diverticulitis where you have ongoing symptoms for 6-12 months. Pain, fatigue, nausea. In a study they resected some of these patients, surgery. Took out affected part. Disection showed both acute and chronic inflammatory changes in the colon. One even had a hidden abcsess! None had clinical signs of diverticulitis! No fever, normal ct normal blood levels. But as you said you been fine for some time I don't think this is applicable to you right now.

I also get constipated , not realising. Its not difficult to go toilet, normal in every sense but my intestines must be slowing down. Make sure you look after that area too. Watery diarrhoea can be owerflow. If there's mucus it might be IBS or a infection. Another thing, I walk bent over. Can't sit up or lie stretched out. It hurts just to rest my arm on stomach. Stomach swells up. Nauseated. Low grade fever, below 38.

It sucks to have this divertricular disease.

• Posted

You are not on your lonesome, not by a long chalk, so, calm down and I will tell you how  I keep my Divi under the thumb.

Probiotic capsules from the Health shop . Fills your colon with good guys that 

keep the bad guys under control I started taking the pro--- last August No More Pain,. So, off you go to H&B and tell me how you feel a month from now

• Posted

I forgot to say, I always get told I have a uti when I in actual fact have diverticulitis. I always have leucocytes in my urine, difficulties emptying my bladder totally. Think the inflammation is near my bladder causing leucocytes to transmit to my bladder. It takes 3 days for a urine test to confirm uti. Until then they can only treat it as suspected uti. You normally would get something called nitrates in urine too when you have uti. This can be seen using a dipstick. If you have either leucocytes or nitrates or both they send it off to confirm uti. If you have both you are very likely to have ut. The lab can tell after 3 days what organisms are growing in your wee and what antibiotics they are sensitive too, what will kill them off.
    • Posted

Hi, I had the urine test this week as the initial dip test showed a small trace of blood, but a second test a couple of days later was clear.

It was sent to the lab and came back completely clear of any infection, blood, protein etc...

• Posted

Wow you hsve been through hell. I wouldnt even know how to address your pain. Most all here have trigger foods and try to avoid them. Tee40171 gave good advise. I do wish there was more study done on this dreadful disease. Food seems to be the enemy here and it is all trial and error on what and what not to eat.
  • Posted

Several people have mentioned probiotics... Any recommendations on which ones?
  • Posted

Get any with at least 25 to 30 billion Organisms. I get mine online. Cant say where or it would be removed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.