Diverticulosis

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi im new here what a wonderful group, ive just joined, as a new patient, im 75years old, after 6months of being told i had ibs had a terrible time with it, so returned to the dr who orded a camera, which was last saturday, that was not very nice, never again, i have Diverticulosis, and 6 polyps which were removed, and told to go on high wheat diet, that was it not very helpful at all, went to my drs to see the nurse for some help, to no avail, she told me to go on the website, done pages of it, but no help, my stress is so high, please can you help thanks Maureen

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Maureen, don't despair there is life with diverticular disease, it just needs a little adjustment. Be aware not all fibre is right, so avoid seeds and nuts or anything which comes out the same as it went in, such as corn (and popcorn). Also avoid skins, so peel your apples and pears, and don't even bother with grapes. Berry's are a no-no as they are just skins and pips too. Lok up soluble fibre on the internet for a good idea what is digestible. Basically your gut is not firing on all cylinders, so don't tax it with difficult foods, and if you are getting pain then stick to simple and easily digested things like eggs, chicken, fish and well cooked vegetables. I find cooked veg better than raw. Tomatoes must be skinned and de-seeded. Try Fybogel once or twice a day to boost your fibre. Some people use probiotic (or is it prebiotic?) Pills, but I don't so I can't comment on them. I hope this helps you to get on the right track to manage your DD. Note also that stress and tension contribute to it, so try not to worry, and good luck.

• Posted

Everyone is different but since they find diverticulosis that means no infection.  Symptoms vary from person to person.

I watch what I eat as in no nuts, seeds or skins.  I have had several severe attacks over the years and depending on severity of symptoms I either put a heating pad on my abdomen and take Tylenol , go to doctor get antibiotics after diagnosis or if severe pain and general not good feeling I am hospitalized and put on IV antibiotics.  I have had this for a good 15 years and am able to tell the difference.

It’s a very stressful condition and unfortunately there is not an exact treatment unless you have a confirmed diagnosis. As by having a CT scan.

Good luck. Ps I have IBS too so combining the two it’s hard to not feel anxious at times.

I cannot eat high fiber even though I am told to.  I stick to mostly easy to digest foods. Seldom eat red meat unless it is ground beef. 😘. And I am 71.

• Posted

Maureen everything I was told and have followed is white only. White bread, rice, pasta  with no fruit with skin or seeds, no veggies with skin even cooked and no broccoli and no tomato anything. Juice no pulp so apple juice, and on meds, NO alcohol. Green beans ok but didn’t chance it. If you google diviticulitis diet it will tell you. I’m not sure about diviticulosis but know no seeds .  Good luck. 
  • Posted

Hello, sorry to hear you have this; you have certainly found the right place for some good advice. Everyone seems to be different with regard to what they can't eat.

Doctors now say the old advice to avoid skins and seeds etc is outdated  and no longer recommended; however many contributors to this forum prefer to avoid them. I've personally had no problem with them and like to consume berries, tomatoes, potato skins and the like as they form valuable roughage; but I can't eat meat. Some sufferers can't eat ice cream or high fat foods. It is such an individual thing, alas. I take a sachet of Fybogel every day as with diverticular disease it is very important not to get constipated.

If you have IBS it might be helpful to follow the Fodmap diet which I found very helpful.

I'm sorry there seems no definitive advice for managing DD; it does seem to be trial and error. It might be helpful to see a dietician although if you wade through the pages on this site you are certain to find help and encouragement. 

• Posted

Good advice nessmcd, I have been reading recent research concerning nuts and seeds as well. There are some good articles if you search long enough you can find them. 

The FODMAP diet is definitely worth pursuing! 

DD needs better information and more research, even doctors agree that this condition is under represented in the medical world. 

• Posted

You will find lots of information on this site Maureen I was diagnosed in May by way of a CT scan I wasn't given very much information by the medical profession other than its normal to have diverticular disease at my age 66 this site has since given me all the information I have needed to manage it to the best of my ability. Im now finding and eliminating the foods that cause pain and bloating

• Posted

Hi Maureen

I was diagnosed in May and it's been a bit . I am 50. The only good thing is that I have dropped a couple of dress sizes , which needed to happen to be honest . I have pain in my left side most days . I take sachets of cosmocol everyday and a probiotic tablet ..not sure if the probiotic is helping . I avoid Res meat as a burger a few weeks ago was a killer. I eat chicken , fish , actimel and live yougurts . No white stuff anymore . I have even eat brown bread , which I like now 😁. It's a tricky disease and has changed my life totally. I am seeing the consultant again in December as getting the pain every day is getting me down . I work full time and some days it's a struggle. I also take Buscopan and paracetomol for the pain . Also a hot water bottle eases it . I hope I don't have to have another colonoscopy as that was horrible 😬. Good luck and as ever one says , everybody is different . This forum is great for advice x

• Posted

I was going to ask if people lose weight with this awful disease I have, I don't bother weighing myself anymore I have completely changed my diet I don't eat red meat, skins on potatoes. white bread only very occasionally I now mainly eat pitta bread  and have smaller meal portions I also find eating three small meals a day helps rather than a larger supper. One thing that I found does help me I go to aqua classes and stretch my stomach area this has really helped me.

• Posted

Yes, I've certainly lost weight; only 41k now and I don't think I'll ever put on much weight again as one has to be so circumspect about what one eats. Small meals because I don't have much appetite.

Still, it's quite nice to be thin! Good that your aqua classes help; I do Tai Chi now which I find helpful.

• Posted

Can I ask if you have alcohol ? I haven't had Alcohol since August. I love jack Daniels and diet coke . I have read somewhere you can't have Alcohol, I suppose every one is different , but any ideas would be welcome x

• Posted

Hi Dawnie thank you glad i found this site,its so helpful,you have given me some good advice, as all those other poor suffers, im sure getting my gallbladder out then ibs has made my dd worse, my thoughts only, im trying hard to get my head around it, every thing i put in my mouth is a worry, what doe,st help my family and hubby dont seem to understand, telling me to stop winging, take care
    • Posted

Hi Maureen

I'm also new .  I joined this Forum today.  I was diagnosed with Diver in April.  I'm sorry that your family and husband don't understand . My family don't either .  I think that's why forums like these are very important .  I think it's hard to understand this condition unless you have it !  When I had yet another infection , I wasn't able to eat and wasn't supposed to .  When my sister met me and she saw that I'd lost weight and wasn't eating , she asked me if I was anorexic. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry !  

• Posted

Glad you found this site as i have as i was so confused from drs no real help not even a diet sheet im not sure what these flare up are about i dont want one, my dr was treating me for ibs until i had lost so much weight it was then she sent me for the camera i was told
    • Posted

Thanks !  Again , it was the same for me , no help , no guidance , nothing from the doctors.  It seems many people are in the same boat. I believe that the medical proff know very little about Diver .  But they are too arrogant to admit that .  From what I've read online the medical proff make out that Diver is a very minor ailment and so not a serious or significant illness .  Yet , one can see by the messages in the forums , the opposite is true .  Years back my GP said I had IBS too!  It seems that when the doctors don't know what's wrong they tell their patients that they have IBS ! 

• Posted

All the replies here in your thread offer excellent advice.  I personally found my trigger foods were gluten and wheat, so I have gluten free products.  Also full fat and ice cream.  I found this out by keeping a food diary to see which foods triggered the symptoms.  I get my high soluble fibre in the form of home made blended veggie soup, and I eat root veggie purees - carrot, swede, potato, parsnip.  Makes a good topping for a pie made with chicken or turkey mince.  I also take a sachet of Fybogel each day (Metamucil in the USA) but there are others on the market.  Mine is prescribed and comes free as I am 67.  I also take Aloe Vera capsules and Actimel which both helped when I started taking them.  If you actually had an attack of Diverticulitis when you had pain, then it can take months for your insides to heal and the pain subside.  But you might always have niggles.  Also stress is a major trigger for both DD and IBS, so it would help if you could find a way to relax and take gentle exercise.  Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.