Diverticulosis

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi im new here what a wonderful group, ive just joined, as a new patient, im 75years old, after 6months of being told i had ibs had a terrible time with it, so returned to the dr who orded a camera, which was last saturday, that was not very nice, never again, i have Diverticulosis, and 6 polyps which were removed, and told to go on high wheat diet, that was it not very helpful at all, went to my drs to see the nurse for some help, to no avail, she told me to go on the website, done pages of it, but no help, my stress is so high, please can you help thanks Maureen

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I’m just going on advice with no seed, fruit, veggies etc...while I heal. I didn’t understand why no fiber during this time since I’m trying to clean out my colon. My husband put it into words/visions I could understand... your colon is inflamed and sensitive right now so imagine roughage or fiber as sandpaper rubbing up against the colon and causing more irritation. The diet products are soft and giving your colon a break.  That made sense to me. The no alcohol for me is while on the meds. However since they stay in your system for a while will hold off for another week or so.  I would while you recover stay away from roughage. Are you on an antibiotic?  Some people are and some not. I’m guessing if you are it’s because they saw infected pockets and if not it’s because it’s inflamed. My own assumption. Good luck. 
    • Posted

Hi Jan good advice from your hubby, yes i see what he means, it,s hard for me to take in im so confused lucky ive not yet had a flair up yet just the pain in my left side after eating im taking buscoban twice daily is that ok. Sadly my drs are usless, im begining to wonder if ive had this D.D all along not ibs, my birthday next week, family taking me for chinse, but what eat i don,t know any help, or drink lol, thank you sorry i need so much imformtion i am a stress head always have been
    • Posted

Maureen I was diagnosed with IBS over 25 years ago and I had my first diagnosed diverticulitis attack 20 years ago. But the thing that bothers me the most is losing acces to the surgeon I had back in August because he was the first health care professional who understood diverticula disease. He was so informative and made me realize that most if not all of my problems over the past 25 years could be attributed to DD. My condition started 25 years ago when I suddenly had to go to the toilet with excruciating cramps that crippled me to the point of paralysis, extreme diarrhea and vomiting at the same time, accompanied by profusely sweating, and finally passing out and rushed to hospital. That was the first time and that occurred countless times over 25 years. We always thought these were allergic reactions to eating something or IBS. I did it all, tests, scopes, diets, holistic stuff, eastern medicine, acupuncture, you name it I’ve probably done it. So.. this surgeon told me it was most likely attacks of diverticulitis all along and I think he was right. It’s just like my lower right back pain I’ve been having for the past 8 years, DD. My left testicle has had periods of intense pain for weeks. DD. So my GP has been treating these all along not realizing that they were all connected to DD. But this surgeon knew it! Since then the research I’ve done confirms it. One thing that I believe has made things worse is that my GP prescribed me a topical NSAID for my lowe left back pain and I’ve used it for years because it works great! The only problem is that NSAIDs make DD worse according to the research I’ve found. I’m not saying you have DD but it’s worth discussing with your doctor. 
  • Posted

Maureen

Where are you?  I didn’t wait for my dr as I went to ER 2x. When she wanted me to try another stool softener and let her know in three days how I was, that wasn’t good enough for me so I insisted on seeing a gastro. When I called them they told me ten days till appt.   that wasn’t going to happen and after nicely bitching miraculously an appt opened up the next day. So even tho I’m only in now ten days the pains have lessened from labor pains to dull ache. For Chinese stay away from anything with seeds while u recover. Chicken wings not breaded and crab Rangoon were good with me. No veggies. Again I’m stressing while u recover. I’m in the US and have good coverage with insurance. I know some of these countries with “free health care” don’t have services or availability like us. 

• Posted

Hello Maureen  Sorry to hear you have been having a bad time lately.  Like you I was diagnosed with diverticulosis (reading from the report multiple diverticular from splenic flexture (think it is called that) but from transverse colon right down the whole of the left side plus small internal hemmerorids.  I was also told I had IBS around 7 years ago, and have not been told I don't have it.  I only had one polyp which turned out to be benign.  I am 70 years old.   Like you I was told to eat a high fibre diet and I do also take fybogel/mebeverine (which is  for IBS and is an antibspasmodic).  I have now been told that I might have a lazy stomach and am having a camera down the throat in 3 weeks I had a lower endoscopy in April when I got the diverticular diagnosis.  Luckily so far no infections or thought it is hard to know what symptoms is caused by what.  With diet it is a matter of trial and error to find out what suits your system but yes you are supposed to follow a high fibre diet drink plenty of water cut down on tea or coffee and keep active.  This all helps as you probably already know.  I know how stressed you must feel as I suffer from anxiety myself.  It does seem that doctors don't tell you much and you have to try and educate yourself.  That's where this and other forums are great for advice.  You don't mention just what your symptoms are and whether you tend to get constipation or loose stools.  Whilst a high fibre diet for constipation is good you have to be careful if you don't have constipation then maybe a lower fibre diet might be better.  It is a matter of finding out what suits you.  Don't lose heart things will get better.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.