DIVERTICULOSIS - Removal of the Sigmoid Colon

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a professional white male, 65 yrs old with diverticulosis.  I do have a lot of stress in my life too.

I first bled bright red blood through my rectum 9 years ago.  I did not have any blood transfusions and it took me many months to get my Hemoglobin to 14.

When I asked how to prevent this from happening again, I was told to eat more fiber.  When I consulted a MASS GENERAL surgeon about removing a section of my colon, he recommended not to have surgery at this point.  He said if it happens andother 3 or 4 more times then it should be discussed.

So 8 years later, last November, 2016, I bled again and this time it was a lot.   I was told I should have 2 blood transfers and so I did.

I blamed my self for drifting off my high fiber diet after 8 years, so I dedicated myself to eating more high fiber.

Oh No.....April comes along and "BANG' another bleeding bout but not as bad as the first one.  No blood transfusions here.  I was told to add more fibre - like Metamucil,, 1 or 2 x per day.  I was eating well and drinking lots of water and reduced my coffee consumption alot.  It's a diaretic.

My stools seamed to be softer but then the Dr put me on iron pills and I became more constipapatd so I took more MetamuciI daily but changed the iron pill to every other day.  I was afraid I'd blow another diverticula and bleed again if I didn't.

Well along comes another bleeding this last weekend (July 28th / 2017).

More blood and no pains, (the differnce between Diverticulosos and Diverticulitis) and back into the hospital for 3 days.  GI Doctor recommended seeing a surgen.  The time has come, I need to do this because bleeding increments have increased and this is not good, for me, my lifestyle, my work, my family nor my health.

Upon discharge my Hemoglobin was 10.7.  I want to get it up to 14 before I have the surgery because 14 is the lowest it should be.

I expect that if I went from 9.4 in April to 11.7 on July 20th (a few days before my 4th bleeding epsiode), I should now be able to go from 10.7 where I am today,  to 14 pts by 2 1/2 months.  This will put the surgery date out to mid October.  This is doable.  Get it done it time to enjoy Thanksgiving ; > )

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sigmoid..I live in Mass also and been having flare ups for about 7 yrs now. No bleeding though like you. I just went to a colorectal surgeon as my Gastro doc said I have been having too many flare ups, which I agree. My last flare up was in April, was sick for the whole month, but no flare up since. Surgeon said Metamucil also,, so just bought the capsules..I also get constipated a lot too, think it's my meds too. Surgeon said no surgery right now, but next flare up let him know and decide then...The only cure is ressection unfortunately.

• Posted

Hi Sigmoid, I was wondering how the surgery and recovery went. I am having the same surgery in 19 days, just curious if you have any advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.