Dizziness - Heart Palpitations - Panic attack?

Posted , 9 users are following.

So Tuesday I had been feeling a bit dizzy. Come tuesday evening my heart begin to race and I needed to get out (I was having a meal at the time). The feeling was very intense, terryfying. It took me about 30 minutes to calm down.

The next day the diziness was still there, and then after doing some weights, the heart began racing again and panic set in. 

I went to the hopsital, and all tests came back clear. ECG fine, Chest Xray fine, and bloods all fine. They sent me home wihtout explanation.

Today I thought I was doing okay (diziness still present but not as strong). Symtoms came rushing back when I was shopping to the point I just wanted to run.

All of a suddent this has effected my life - I feel like I can't do anything.

Up till this point I was very happy. Now I'm deeply concerned. It feels as though I'm always seconds away from a heart attack.

People have suggested panic attacks? Or anxiety... I really don't know, and I'm at a loss.

Has anyone had a similar experience? 

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Sam.

It does sound like panic attacks and anxiety.

If the ECG was fine then trust in that.

You are young and it would be unusual to have a heart attack.

Maybe a trip to the GP would help you.

Let me know how you do.

Christine

• Posted

Thanks Christine.

I'm off to the doctor first thing in the morning.  

It's crippling me at the moment. I'm self employed so can't work when I'm like this.

• Posted

Best of luck let me knw how you go.

Don't worry more tan anything, Easier said than done eh?

• Posted

to me it sounds like anxiety and panic. the attack is acute and the anxiety carries over theough the panic situation. unfortunately, yes, i know whar you're talking about. it feels terrifying. good that you went to the doctor to get the ecg and blood work. heart attacks generally don't take three days. try some deep, slow breathing (in for 4, hold for 7, out for 8). do it for 10 or more times. really concentrate on breathing with your lower belly, not up high in your chest. part of your dizziness could be hyperventilation because you feel anxious about the heart racing. them you hyperventilate, get dizzy, heart races, over and over... breathing can help you break the cycle and get your mind off it. you can also gently massage one side of your neck for a few minutes. slows your blood flow down. but not both sides! you can pass out then. you can also drink some icy cold water. that sensation can help you forget the heart racing. you should go to your gp and explain what happened. something in your life is causing you anxiety but you can get om top of it. the sooner the better. good luck to you!
    • Posted

Thanks Lena

The diziness has lasted for three days which is what concerns me.  And it's also peaking with excercise. 

I'll have to see what my GP says. But it is sounding more and more like Anxiety and Panic attacks.

• Posted

Hi Sam, this is a sign of panic attack and anxiety. Its really horrid. Is your job stressful? Are you sleeping properly at night? I am on a low dosage of Beta-blocker, which causes the heart to slow down when it races.( propranolol ) 160 MG . Ask your Gp regards Amandah
    • Posted

HI Amanda,  

I work for myself, as a creative freelancer. It has it's stresses, but generally I think I'm laid back which is why this is strange. 

It's awful. Really bad. 

I sleep okay, but I do suffer from sleep paralysis and OHS from time to time. 

Do you find Beta-Blockers work?

• Posted

Hi Sam, Yes I find that Beta blockers work, also rescue remedy works well. How about trying relaxation Music? And set aside time for you?Regards Amandah
  • Posted

I do not mean to be glib, but have you considered that you might have a virus infection? There are a lot going round at the moment.
    • Posted

Hi Archemedes. 

I thought this myself (and hoped as that's easilt treatable). But had blood tests yesterday and nothing came up. The doctors can't find anything with the test they have done. 

• Posted

Hi Sam, this does sound like a panic attack especially as they can't find anything physically wrong with you.

Have you had or felt anything in your life recently that could be playing on your mind?

• Posted

Hi again Sam. Usually when hospitals conduct blood tests they are looking for more serious infections rather than everyday viruses, so it is unlikely they would have checked you for common relatively harmless viruses which are in any event evolving every day.

The viruses that I am talking about are usually not serious unless you are Diabetic and even then not necessarily so, and there is no stipulated treatment for them.

My wife is a teacher and every day she comes home with reports of yet another virus and more children having to rest at home.

In the case of a working adult a virus can play havoc, as it is difficult to concetrate on ones work, and this in iteslf can cause anxiety problems if it interferes with ones work load.

I would suggest that if your symptoms get much worse, or if it does not clear-up on it's own accord in 5 to 7 days a return trip to your doctor could well be a good idea.

• Posted

I am diabetic type 1. What type of viruses could it be? I don't have any other symptoms apart from the diziness and then these suddent bouts of panic.

I'm seeing the doctor first thing in the morning. Hopefully she will be able to check for any viruses? 

• Posted

Hi Blu,

Not really. Im actually in a very good point of my life. I've moved into a lovely apartment, I'm seeing someone I care for very much and I'm working on some very interesting projects. 

The only thing I am concerend about really is these symptoms I'm having. I've had trauma in the past... But a few years back and I wouldn't say that it's been keeping me awake at night or anything like that. 

I'm just really confused as they have come out of the blue

• Posted

Hi Sam. I am also a Diabetic. Diabetics are more susceptible to infections and should always seek medical advice if they are any worrying health issues.

You are doing the right thing by referring yourself to your doctor, as he/she will have your medical history and maybe be aware if there any other associated matters that need attention.

Your doctor will not actually be able to check if you have a virus, but he/she will know if there is a probabilty that you are suffering with one or from something else.

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you. 

I appreciate your insights. Us diabetics never seem to cut a break! 

All the best

Sam

• Posted

That's the luck of the drawer Sam.

Good luck at the doctors tomorrow.

All the best

Arche

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.