Dizzy spells.

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Can anyone tell me if dizzy spells are a side effect of coming off Citalopram. I have been reducing from 10mg to 5mg for the last 2 weeks and it has been going ok with a few moments of anxiety. But tonight I had to pull over on my way home after becoming dizzy at the wheel. Is this normal or might it be something else? Any help welcome.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It's probably the reduction.  Withdrawing from a Citalopram should be done as slowly as possible - months if possible.  You could try 10mg one day and 5mg the next, and so on for a couple of weeks, and then increase it further by doing 10mg every 2 days with 5mg in between days etc etc for another couple of weeks and carry on that way until you end with 10mg once a week until you're ready to do 5mg every day.

Doint it too quick can make you feel quite ill.

K xx

• Posted

That is really useful. I think I should start alternating. GP said 5mg till July but I think you are right, I need to go even slower than that. I have had more restless nights and also have had cramp. Haven't had that in ages. Work is also incredibly stressful at the moment too so do feel up against it.
    • Posted

Be careful with driving at the moment too with the dizziness.  Take things real slow.  Hope it goes ok xxxx
    • Posted

Hi Katecogs, I took 10 mg today, will do 5 mg tomorrow and alternate as you suggested from now on. Feel better for it already. Fortunately, I only have a short drive to work each day so hopefully will be fine. Xxx

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up