Do employer's make comments to you if you are urinating for 20 minutes to half an hour each time

Posted , 6 users are following.

****I want to go back to work, but am afraid I will get fired for spending too much time urinating in bathroom. Any comments?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

learn how to self cath and that way it will be 2-3 hours if not more. use hydrophylic ones so you dont pick up infections.

• Posted

Hank

In my case if my bladder is getting too full i can pee smaller volumes, so requires more frequent visits. you dont know whether he has OAB. i know from experience when it gets like that and i do self cath i can relax for hours. peeing every 20 minutes could also be a symptom of UTI right?

• Posted

Yes Mike. There are many reasons for peeing too frequently. Retention is one, due to bladder overflow. This can be helped with self cathing. OAB is another. UTI and bladder stones are also possible. Hank

• Posted

Ask them. They may encourage you to get something done to fix the issue.

• Posted

Thanks Timothy. I am not working yet, but thanks. Great information Timothy.

• Posted

There are drugs available to lessen the problem or you can wear a foley catheter on the job or both.

• Posted

I did this when I had your problem. It gives you more privacy and no one in your office will know your condition.

• Posted

If you are in the US, employers are required to attempt accommodation for medical conditions, but you must tell them and provide proof from your physician. I started having retention events about 1 1/2 years ago and after my first visit to the ER, asked my URO for a CIC prescription. He connected me with a mail order delivery service (the pilot ad you see a lot). I get 60 catheters a month - my cost is $1.00 per catheter through my insurance (list price $10.00 per catheter). I have never needed that many, but when my usage rate was moving up to 60 per month, I got a urolift. I have not needed to cath since, although I have sometimes done so for convenience.

As to time, once you have practiced the procedure, a CIC should not take more than 5 minutes from zipper to zipper. I keep some and some wipes in my desk, and my supervisor is aware.

• Posted

Wow. This information is awesome. If I can do this, I can work in an office. Thanks so much. I will talk to my URO. I might follow up for some more information.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.