Do I have bacterial vaginosis again?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am in a long term monogamous relationship and my boyfriend and I have been having unprotected sex for three and a half years now and I had never gotten BV before. He never ejalculates inside of me. We decided to bring in another guy to spice things up and he was using a condom but it slipped off and he said he had ejalculated in it so we assumed his sperm got inside of me and took a plan B pill (on top of my IUD being my first measure of birth control). At first I didn't have any symptoms of anything so I continued to have unprotected sex with my boyfriend like usual, and we have not invited another partner in again since that one time. Well after a couple of weeks I started having painful intercourse, White discharge, vulvar itching and foul vaginal odor so I scheduled an appointment with my gynecologist and was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis and chlamydia. My bf did not get tested but was given azithromyacin for the std and I was given metronidazole for the bv and doxycycline for the chlamydia. We abstained from sex until we were both treated and re-tested for cure at which time I came back negative for bv and chlamydia and he came back negative for chlamydia but they don't test men for bv, so we resumed having sex like usual without condoms. It's been a couple of months and I'm noticing a slight smell coming from down there but no itching or painful intercourse or urination and I have to monitor some more to see if there is discharge but I don't think so at this point. I am 100% confident that he has not had another partner within this timeframe because we are very open about our sexual desires and extra-relationship sexual encounters. So my question is, could I have bv again even if I have been treated and I haven't had a new partner since lastly being cured for it? Or is it normal to have a slight smell down there sometimes? The smell isn't horrible or extremely strong and it's not noticeable to him but it is something that I have recently noticed. 

Thanks. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Having dealt with recurrent BV, I keep a spool of Hydrion ph test paper on hand to test my ph. You can order it from amazon, make sure it's the 3.0-5.5 range which is perfect for testing vaginal ph (using a q-tip ). If the paper turns green, you have BV and should see a Dr. I really am convinced that men need to be treated for BV as well. If you find that you do have it, ask your Dr for a refill of the antibiotic and give it to your guy. 

• Posted

Most doctors won't test men & I firmly believe that they are carriers. With that being said, find a doctor that will listen to you & that will give him an antibiotic for it as well. It's been said that mean can carry the BV bacteria in their urethra, therefore if he ejaculates inside of you or if there is precum it may trigger an infection. He could be inadvertently passing it on to you. In the meantime, I suggest that you start using condoms & make sure you pee after every sexual encounter. I do mean every single one as it helps flush the vaginal canal after intercourse. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.