Do I have depression

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello I really hope someone can help me I am a 27 Year old F/M on and off now for about 15 years I have had bad anxiety I didn’t know what it was till about 5 or 6 years ago but lately I have seen noticing knew things I wake up a few times in the middle of the night I’m tired all day and want to sleep all day I sleep on and off throughout the day I have to make myself eat and sometimes I over eat I hate being alone I sit at home during the week with the lights off in a “Safe room” of the house I always feel like people don’t want me around I’m not going to hurt myself I do cry a times I’m always scared when I’m at home I wanna go out when I go out I wanna be at home I have to force myself to wake up to do every day things like wash my hair and brush my teeth I just don’t want to do I was trying to talk to my friends and they say they have no idea what I have to be depressed about or anxious about I laughed the other day and my friend goes see you aren’t depressed is this depression or what is this can someone help? 

2 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Don't go start taking antidepressants you're probably deficient in vitamin B complex Or vitamin D it's a vitamin panel checked out everybody quick to take antidepressants and that's not even the issue you could be lacking vitamins and feel the same way I wish I would've known this before our debt or anti-depressive in and made my life miserable I have a headache now for two years that won't go away take some cataplex b standard process supplament nobody over here telling you the holistic way to approach the situation them drugs are the devel try some l theanine but I believe all you need is B complex for energy please let me know how you feel before you start taking antidepressants because they can make your problems worst

• Posted

Please if you are not a psychology t or psychiatrist do not advice anyone what and what not to take, only they can make the correct diagnose and recommend the right medication.  
  • Posted

Hi, how are you doing today? I read your post and the replies from other people here, with which I agree. I'm not a doctor, just a patient, but... you mention anxiety in the past, waking up at night, lethargy during daytime, need for isolation, wanting to be somewhere else no matter where you are, trouble in taking care of your person. This is almost a textbook description of depression!

As others wrote before me, you need to get medical advice. It's a common illness and it can be treated! So right now your objective is to find a doctor you trust. Your GP can/must help you at first, but you will have to be referred to a psychiatrist.

In your replies, it seems you fear your family will not understand your condition because your sister also has mental health issues.

1) First of all, know that these diseases may have a genetic basis to them. So, while you most certainly don't have depression BECAUSE your sister has it, it might be not quite a coincidence that you two share this trait. Also, you say she has a bipolar disorder. A psychiatrist will be able to tell you what kind of depression you have (or, possibly, that you don't have depression and everyone here is wrong!)

2) Second. The fact that they have an experience with mental illness may make it easier for your parents to accept/understand your condition. I believe they will not think you're seeking attention, by this time, given the case of your sister, they know these are illnesses and not character flaws.

Keep us updated and good luck!

• Posted

t21stapril thank you one minute I’ll feel fine and think okay so maybe I’m not depressed but then something will happen I’ll be in the middle of a conversation and I’ll get to worrying every time I think I can get up the nerve to talk to my family my mom or someone says something that says it’s not the right time I’m trying so hard I was fine earlier today then my house got quiet  and itz back to my old self 
    • Posted

Hey,

what you are experiencing is perfectly in line with your situation. Don't fixate upon being a little better at times, then getting worse again, and so on. IF you have depression (which only a doctor can tell with certainty), it's pretty common that you will feel better and worse moment throughout the day. Typically morning is worse and evening is better, but that's not necessarily the case for everyone. 

I do not know your family situation well enough, that's obvious. But let me make an example. Think about when you need to tell someone that you like them (romantically, I mean). I don't know about you, but when I had to do that, I was anxious and everything of what they said suggested that "that was not the right time". Still at some point you just take it out and that always turns out to be the right thing to do (independently on how they reply!). So this was just to suggest you that maybe you're interpreting stuff your family or mom say as indications that "it's not the right time", when it's just your (justifiable!) anxiety making it look like that. 

Again, I don't know you and I don't want to insist too much But somehow you need to get help for your condition. It's just the right thing to do. 

Always keep in mind that no matter what you are going through, you are not alone. 

• Posted

That's great to hear! Well done, it's an important step forward. Please keep us updated, if that's ok xx

• Posted

Hey Harrypotternerd,

I would have to agree with t21stapril, that´s what i thought when you shared About your Family and being afraid of it seeming like you´re doing it for Attention. Even if they did think so, you can say that it´s Pretty normal for siblings to share mental Health issues (because of genetics, Environment etc.) But really, even then you can be honest with them and tell them that you are being sincere. Please Keep us updated, this is important. I don´t know what i have, i have received so far different diagnoses, such as Depression, borderline, etc. but at the end of the day i started to go to therapy where we will work on my issues. So, even if you do or do not have a certain disorder, it doesn´t matter, what matters is that you are struggling and Need help and at the end of the day there are mental Health professionals who could help you. Well, a diagnosis is just a term for a number of symphoms experienced together and it quides the doctors! 

And About the Friends...really sorry to hear that, it is awful to have someone unvalidating one´s Feelings.But really, take care and Keep us updated.

• Posted

Hi it is great that all the people on here have nearly the same advice so it goes to show how much we all support each other on this forum,you did say something that no one clocked onto, about paying for therapy, first you have to walk before you run, speaking to some one about it is scary and you have taken the first step by coming on here great, second step seeing as your family and so called friends are not taking you seriously, make an appointment to see your doctor, anything you say is private and confidential, then ask them about counselling , phone numbers and also if he/she tells you its depression, they will give yo a course of antidepressants, and i am not giving you a downer, but antidepressant are great when you seat there and they say take these and come back in a few weeks see how you are, and you think all your feelings and worries stress and thought will all go away with taking a few pills, but please do not get me wrong some people it works wonders , others like me, makes you ill, and that is fine, because there are different types, DO NOT GIVE UP ,GO BACK TO YOUR DOCTOR, it is all trial and error, they will try different things, but remember its your choice if you do not feel this is working for you tell them and then go down to counselling , and do both, but here counselling is free on nhs, only problem takes a little while ,because so many people waiting, no problem you will get there, i have and i am seeing a cara counsellor and she is fabulous, and my life looks rosy again, sorry for the noval ,but i hope this helps , take care , xxx 
    • Posted

Jay, thank you so much I have Doctor apartment next week so I will talk to my doctor I have started writing and that has helped to go back and read 
  • Posted

Your welcome, take care good luck let me know how you get on  with your doctor , and i hope you start feeling god soon, but we are always here to help no matter what, enjoy weekend, stay busy , try to do something you love to to do, something that makes you happy, i do keeps my mind occupied xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.