Do I have gallstones?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello!!  I dont know if anyone can help me.  Ive been to my GP and currently waiting to have a ultrasound.  I know I probably wont know exactly until I have had the scan, but Im just wondering whether anyone else has had the same symptoms as me and whether its turned out to be gallstones, IBS or anything else?  Ok most of the time I have the feeling of a lump underneath my right rib.  I cant feel it with my hands, it just feels like there is something there, maybe my gallbladder (or something) inflammed, it doesnt hurt but it is really awkward and no matter what position your in (lying down, sitting up, standing), it is still there.  Then every now and then I have, what I call, attacks!!  They happen all of a sudden and to begin with, they were only 10mins long, however the past 3 times its happened, its been early hours of the morning (1am ish) and lasted for a few hours (until about 6-7am).  It feels like my ribs are crushing down onto my lungs.  My ribs are aching!!  The last couple of times that I have had a attack, it felt  like this lump was going to burst!!  I then get a aching pain along my spine, or at the top and in between my shoulder blades.  But thats not all the time!!  Eating tikka curry, lasagne and pork bring these attack on.  But then some days I feel fine, no lump, no aching, and no pains!!  At the moment, my temp is up and down like a yo yo!!  1min Im hot, next Im cold!!  And today I kept breaking out in cold sweats!!  I was boiling and the rest of my family were ok or even cold!!  I seem to be tired a lot at the moment aswell, I had 8 hours sleep last night and still feel really tired!!  Oh and another thing with these pains, its always on the right hand side....either where my rib cage is, or where it ends.  And also in the middle of where my ribs join.  I have also noticed little lumps under the skin of all over my adomen (sorry I dont know how to spell it)!!  Feels like a pea size spot underneath the skin!!  I am overweight however I have lost a lot of weight in a short about of time (2 stone in 2 months - quick for me but it might not be for others).  So these little peas might be normal and I havent noticed them before because Ive had more fat there to cover it up!!  I dont know!!  But I have never had this pain before and I cant seem to find a way to get rid of the pain during the attacks!!  I try different positions and it doesnt help!!  I feel like Im going to be sick during these attacks and I sweat so much!!  I lost weight because I chose to lose weight, not because of whatever this is.  I have read up about gallstones and there are some symptoms I dont have, so thats why Im questioning whether its gallstones or IBS.  I dont have jaundice, I dont have pale stool that float (disgusting I know but thats the first thing I got asked by my GP).  I also dont have these pains all the time!!  Like I had a attack on May 29th and then not another one until June 6th!!  And the last attack before these 2 were quite a few weeks back!!  I have been given buscopan by my gp to help with the spasms, I only got them on Friday (6th), and forgot to take any yesterday so I cant really say if theyre working or not.  I will know for sure the answer when I get the scan, but Im just wondering whether anyone else has had these pains and have been diagnosed?  Thanks, Steph xx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steph 

ok I had an attack about once a year for 15 years and thought it was food poisoning... Agonising pain across ribs being sick feeling sick sweating feeling faint for me I couldn't stop being sick for 6 or 7 hours and the pain !!!!!! Unbelievable and then when it stopped as if it never happened .. Then in the last year I had continuous pain under my right rib ... I couldn't bear my bra strap there ... I thought it was an ulcer .. I had a massive attack this time I wasn't sick I felt sick and the pain made me fall to the floor sweating and almost fainting ... Agony .. I went to the gp who thought I had an ulcer and put me on omeprazole and I have to say I didn't have another attack. But the pain under my right rib got worse and worse and only settled when I lived on boiled potatoes boiled veg and toast ..no fat no meat no sugar no caffeine... I went back to different gp who took one look and said you've got gallstones ... I was so surprised. I didn't have yellow skin or pale stools .. But when scanned the technician showed me a gallbladder with over 12 enormous gallstones he said these have been growing here for years. He said my gallbladder was not diseased but just can't function there is no room for bile anymore ..and when your gallbladder contracts to squeeze out extra bile for that chicken tikka it hurts with all those stones in it ... I had mine removed in February 6 weeks after my scan... I realised then that I was always feeling bilious, tired and just not right ... Because I felt so much better without my gall bladder. Hope that helps .sally 

• Posted

Hello, I was treated when I was young for Ulcers, but as I got older the Meds didn't work, then a Dr. said I had IBS and was on those meds for years and as I watched what I ate the IBS was better, then March of this year my IBS meds weren't working for my pain and after a week of pain I saw a Dr. for internal problems, she did a cat scan the same day and my gallbladder was filled with gallstones, had a sonagram? too. anyway's 3 weeks later I had surgery. Now 3 weeks since surgery and I've still had some of the pain, but not as bad, but having pain where my gallbladder use to be, under right  breast by ribs, it's not serious pain, but it kinda feels swollen there and wondering is this normal? By the sound of what your saying it sounds like gallbladder. What I would suggest doing is read up on the diet for if you have gb problems. For 3 months I've been on a very strict diet, no red meat, only chicken/ breast only, no fried foods, no FAT, no milk products, no tomato sauces, no citric acid fruits, my meals as close to 6-8 grams of fat or as little as possible. Eat smaller amounts of food and just eat more smaller meals, that really helped me. I'm wondering if I ever really had IBS, maybe it was my gb all along, I had a lot of the same symptons your stating. If you stay on the strict gb diet, you'll probably know. 2 weeks after having surgery I ate a nonfat ice cream and within 20 mins. I was stuck in the bathroom with going the bathroom, haven't eaten ice cream still after that. Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi

the pain under the ribs after surgery does go off. Mine took 6 weeks to settle. I get the odd ache now if I eat bacon .or tomatoes .odd but I think it's just a side effect of what they have done.

but so much better smile 

and like you I had terrible acidic stomach before lots of heartburn.ulcers and nausea. My stomach is just solid now. Amazing ....

• Posted

Well you sound like me and I'm having my gallbladder out on the 22nd of July. Just praying I don't have another attacks before. Everything you mentioned is the same thing I have gone through too so after a ultrasound they found stones. Everyone from this website have recommended to stay away from dairy , meat and any fat products, which has helped me so much. Hope you get results soon and get relief.
  • Posted

Thank you all for your help!!  I had 3 attacks and went sick twice in 1 night last week!!  Scared me because I NEVER EVER go sick!!  I had my scan this week and it has been confirmed that I do have gallstones.  In a way Im kind of glad, because I know now that it can be cured and even though the pain is really bad, its better than having something worse like cancer.  I have seen my GP and she is writing to the hospital to say to put me on the waiting list, I will then get a letter to say that Im on the waiting list and that I have been referred by my GP, and then I will sometime get another letter to say when my op is.  Kind of nervous because Ive never been in a hospital before (apart from to have the scan), let alone to have a op!!  But I will be glad to get it out and to stop the pain!!  How long did you have to wait from having your scan to having the op?  Thank you all again for your help!!  Take Care, Steph
    • Posted

Hi Steph

glad it's gallstones .. As it's treatable.

ok I had my scan just after Xmas end of December and I got my appointment with a surgeon in January he said I would be operated on within the government guidelines which I think was no later than the beginning of June. I was operated on beginning of February.. 

• Posted

Thats brilliant that you got it done so quickly!!  Your hospital sounds so much better than the ones around here!!  hope its all ok now and you dont have anymore pains!!  thank you for your help
  • Posted

Hello again!!  I had my scan over a month ago.  Saw my gp the next day and she said I would get a letter to say that I have been referred and on the waiting list, and then another letter to say when the op is.  I havent had that 1st letter yet.  Does anyone know roughly how long it takes to get that 1st letter?  I know, Im so impatient!!  I just want to get it over and done with though!!  Will be very grateful for you help!!  Thank you xxxx
  • Posted

Hi Steph, like you I have been waiting a while. I went into hospital in October last year and am still waiting to hear from anyone. Like you i do not have all the symptoms either, remember we are all different....I am currently off sdick as I have been bad for a couple of days, no actual sickness but the pain is rubbish, all on right side and in the back, it even hurts to breath,sit up,lay down etc.... I hope you get your contact letter soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.