Do I have gallstones?

Posted , 6 users are following.

For the last two days I have been in an incredibly amount of pain in my abdomen and in-between my shoulder blades that has been constant. I did some research and it turns out these are symptoms of gallstones, I have also lost a lot of weight very quickly over the last few months and I have read that this can be a causing factor. As I sit here I am still in a lot pain over my stomach and between my shoulders, I have been to see the doctor but he just said it was GERD and put me on Lansoprazole but it hasn't helped, I am convinced this level of pain is nothing to do with GERD as I have suffered with that before. The pain I am experiencing now literally feels like some one twisting a hot sword around in my stomach and shoulders. What are your opinions on this?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Thomas, If I was you i wud go to the hospital becoz GPS dosnt know there head to there toes lol, I have gallstones myself the pain is absolutely excruciating it feels like sumbody got a knife through yur stomach, I constantly went to hospital on numerous occasions they only found out I had gallstones after several blood tests i get pains in my back to, I was seriously overweight i went from 25st/20st im still getting pain.. go to hospital Thomas all the best lmk how you get on,congrats on losing weight too
    • Posted

Hi Marie, thanks for the advice, yes I get that knife sensation as well it is truly unbearable. I hope you can find resolution for your back problems too. Congratulations on the weight loss as well 5st is very impressive!
    • Posted

Thankyou Thomas , I get pains in my back due to the gallstonesits adviceable not to eat any fatty foods coz that can causeu severe pain, Can I ask wot pain meds are you taking, as my Drwon't prescribe me any, pain lasts hours on end even during thenight aswell n morning im in agony, yes Thomas i fink u do havethem by sounds of it plz go to hospital though lmk how u get on and Gudluck, thankyou it takes alot of willpower and determination lol 😀

• Posted

Hi. It might be gallstones, GERD, or some other problem. It is wise to get checked.
  • Posted

Sorry you're suffering llike this.  No doctor should inform a patient that they "probably" have a disease for which they have done no tests!

Get a referral to and see a gastroenterologist as soon as you can!  That speciality understands the gastro intestinal tract and can order and interpret the tests that should be done to find out what's happening with you--the weight loss is particularly concerning!  

Best of luck to you, and please let me know how you get on! 

• Posted

Was your weight loss deliberate? I started with decreased appetite, then night sweats before the pains even started. It felt like I'd eaten a huge meal - as if my stomach was about to burst. Then I got pains in my RH shoulder. Sometimes these went on for several days. Try a different doctor or a trip to A&E if they get bad.

• Posted

Hi Thomas, I would go back to your doctor as they should really do an ultrasound and refer you to a gastroenterologist so they can make the decisions on what is wrong with you. You do seem to have symptoms of gallstones or a gallbladder thats not working properly but there are other conditions that can cause the same symptoms but they need to do tests to rule those out. You should also have a gastroscopy.

Go back to your doctor and get that referral but if the pain gets really bad then go to a&e and hopefully they'll do some tests.

Let me know how you get on, Take care.

• Posted

Hey everyone there has been an update, I went to the toilet today and my stools were floating and there was a foam that was coming off them making me think that there is excess gas the pain is still there. I am going to the doctors again this morning it is really starting to freak me out. Sorry for the gross details but this is really concerning
    • Posted

HI Thomas, don't worry about the detail, that's why we're here. Your stools really shouldn't be floating.

Let me know how you get on at the doctors.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.