Do I have Graves????

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, wondering if anyone has a similar experience or advice. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism last week, my results are: TSH- 0.02 (0.35-5.50) SERUM FREE T3- 9.2 (3.5-6.5) SERUM FREE T4- 30.9 (7.0-17.0)

My ESR is 3 (0-20)

My TSO antibody is 5.9 (I don't have the range for this only that I was told it was fine)

I'm waiting to see endo, been put on carbimazole 5mg 30mg a day, saw a different gp today who told me its too much and to only take 10mg a day?!!!

I have severe dry eyes and blepheritis, optician I saw last week said he couldn't see any signs of thyroid affecting my eyes.

Does this sound like Graves? I know 80% of underlying causes are, I'm really hoping not but I seem to be cursed medically!

Any help would be appreciated!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The investigation for my Graves disease took 3 months.  Besides the blood tests, I had a thyroid scan.  The only way you will know if you have Graves is the blood tests for Graves antibodies.  While she was testing, my Endo put me on Propranolol 10 mg to lower my heart rate until she could confirm my diagnosis.  I only took it as needed which was not her intention.  I only took it for high heart rates which I didn't have all the time, .  When I was finally confirmed, I was started on 10 mg of Methimazole.  My Free T3 and Free T4 values were identical to yours and of course my TSH was practically non-existent as yours are.  My Free T3 and T4 immediately fell to the mid-range.  I also had extremely dry eyes.  My ophthalmologist inserted collagen plugs to keep them more moist.  I think your most recent GP was right about dosage.

• Posted

Hi Linda, thanks for getting back to me. I'm an asthmatic so I wasn't allowed propranalol but another Gp gave me 'adizem-sr diltiazem hydrochloride' but I've not tried them yet as I'm worried why my 1st gp didn't give me these but this gp did! I asked today why I hadn't had the Graves antibody test only the TSO and she said they aren't allowed to do that one only the endo can so I'll have to wait. I'm petrified about my eyes bulging if I have it.

To be honest I've only had 10mg carbimazole today compared to 30mg for the last week and I feel better in myself, my heart is still going fast but I don't feel as bad as I have, I wonder why the tablets make me feel like that!

• Posted

I don't think it is the tablets.  I think it is the lower dose of meds.  When my meds were dropped too fast, I had rebound of symptoms like that.  My new Endo lowered them no more than 2.5 mg at a time and eventually, I took 2.5 mg for fewer days a week.  Even though you may have been over medicated, you may want to increase to 15 mg a day for a week, and then every week drop the dose by 2.5 mg until it gets to 10 mg.  There are some supplements you can take that are calming as well.  I will pm you about these.

• Posted

!Hi

I trained as a nurse . I am very concerned that out of desperation you may be 'guided' down the wrong path.

?Namely that  you may be advised to take L Carnitine

It has not been proven to treat hyperthyroidism my endo who is very y knowledgable advised me.

?The endos and G's will advise you against taking this supplement and with very good reasons. If you research this you will see it is NOT recommended and can  cause very serious life threatening side effects namely

high blood pressure,

seizures,

stroke and tachycardia which is an increased heart rate.

?I am taking cardicor 1.25 mgms a day for a cardiac condition and I have asthma . copd as well. My dr told me it is safe to take as it is a low cardio selective drug.

?Perhaps your dr may review your beta blocker if it is not suiting you. You need to let your dr know.

I would advise that you seek medical advice from him or her asap.

I once took L Carnitine just half the dose on advice from a forum and ended up calling paramedics out  I felt like I was dying. I got an irregular heart rate, chest pain, dizziness, nausea.

The side effects were not even listed by the Company as it is a supplement and the paramedics googled the drug and told me that it is dangerous,, this was confirmed by an A and E senior consultant.

?Please be careful about taking supplements or any other drugs for that matter and never take anything without consulting a dr who is au fait with your medical history etc.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Harriet, Surprising and interesting! Do you have any knowing of why the L-Carnitine would cause those dangerous side effects? Thanks for sharing.
    • Posted

Hi Harriet, yes I have read several posts about the L-carnitine and how it is supposed to really help overactive thyroid, I had a look and it looks like its mainly for sports endurance and it made me think how that would have an effect on the heart seeing as it's beating fast anyway. I have also read that motherwort and lemon balm are good so I may try these two.

I haven't tried the alternative beta blockers yet that I was given today but I will definitely let my GP know if I have any side effects.

Thank you

• Posted

bugleweed

motherwort  and

Lemon Balm

are excellent for alleviating the  anxiousness that Graves causes...

mixed together in liquid tincture form they work extremely well together 

but 

we must remember at all times ... that we are individuals .. and what is a cure

for some ... may not always work for others ... so maybe  asking for others experience is the right way to go 

as in the case if L Carnitine ...i weaned myself from Carbimazole with Regular L Carnitine

and it was a great help to me ..   and i'd use it again too

i have been Euthyroid for two years now and enjoying 

my renewed health.

mx🌹

• Posted

Hi, that's brilliant you must be so relieved! So it's best to take these herbs in liquid form, I've seen tablets, liquids and teas so not sure which is the best way? Can you reccomend any reputable websites? Thank you x

• Posted

i bought all mine from Amazon 

just type  into Google ....or directly to Amazon ..

Buglewwed tincture ....  etc... and you shall find ....

i mixed them together in equal proportions into a large brown glass bottle

and would take 2/3 teaspoons each time i felt anxious ...   my heart rate was pretty fast and loud at the time and it did me no harm whatsoever.

mx🌹

• Posted

i don't know if tincture is any better than pills ... i suppose that would depend on the dosages ...but i think the tinctures work quickly ..

as when i use them i can feel it work in minutes....

and it can make you feel nice and calm..

mx🌹

• Posted

Thank you for your message I will have a look to see what's available, I couldn't find anything in my health shop so will look on amazon and others. So many options!

• Posted

Hi I was diagnosed as hyperthyroid about 13 months ago, my GP put me on 30 mg a day 6x 5mg tabs in three doses, he asked his wife who is also a GP in the practice and she said to start me off low at 5mg a day, but he ordered the 30mg anyway. My levels were not as severe as yours but I was having major symptoms. Within three months my levels and dosage had been reduced and within 4 months I was classed as euthyroid but my heart rate is still higher than it was before and I am still having a bit of difficulty gaining weight. So it depends which doctor you see as to the dosage but I am glad he put me on the higher dosage, I was lucky the only side effect I had was a slight drop in my platelets on one monthly blood test. So it depends how you cope with the higher dose in my opinion. But I'm not a doctor, I am a nurse.

• Posted

Hi Jenifer, thank you. I have decided to drop to 20mg a day instead of the 30mg seeing as I'm having a blood test in a week I can see what's happening. Patient leaflet for carbimazole says 5-15mg is for maintenance so I feel that 10mg would be too low. I have started to itch a bit and weird sensation in my legs in the morning but GP couldn't explain that one!

• Posted

Hi just saw you are itching - that is carbimazole. If it gets worse just take cetrizine which is just antihistamine. Dont panic about it. X
  • Posted

Hi

It does sound like graves.

My endo recommended i took Vitamin A and selenium as a supplement. Also sticking to more of an Aitkins diet to regulate the blood sugar. I asked him about L-Carnitine and he had not heard about it in relation to thyroid. I read up on it and i had such high bp 120/180 i would not want to even think about taking it. I have been very well for 3 years now after extremely high readings and a difficult time (they wanted to remove my thyroid or have the iodine but that would have been last resort for me) I am now off all meds!. - 18 months on block and replace 40 mg carbimazole and 100mg levothyroxine, beta blockers, citalopram, bp meds. Also do get eye drops to relieve your eyes also anti histamine if you have a reaction. Rest as much as possible and be patient. As my endo said "it is very treatable".

X

• Posted

Hi Emma, thanks for your reply. I'm hoping its not but it probably will be I guess. I'm searching for a multivitamin at the moment as I was on vitabiotics but seem to make my eyes puffy so looking for one with less bulk and fillers, I have had dry eyes for 4 years and take drops very regularly.

It's interesting about the L-carnitine as so many people suggest it! I don't think I will risk it. Do you have Graves? I'm trying to rest but difficult with a 20 month old and my heart racing, I tried these alternative beta blockers today because I have asthma and I feel slightly better so hopefully that will continue. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.