Do I have hyperthyroidism?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had two blood tests few years ago. Based on T4 levels, the first one was 17.5 pmol/L (9.03-23.86) and the second one was 129.8 nmol/l (64.0-167.0). I found that both numbers are a bit higher than both ranges. Do I have hyperthyroidism? If so, could it be the reason I can't gain weight?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Both of your numbers are within range, they are approaching the upper limit but I wouldn't worry about it yet. You have to be wildly higher than the high limit  before it is called hyper. I would forget all about it for a while.
  • Posted

Hello Erik8ppt:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hypothyroidism. However I know a bit about both sides of the disease.

Hyperthyroidism shows symptoms of, Weight loss, insomnia, Feeling HOT, sweating, nervousness, fast heart rate, eye bulging, shakiness, anxiety.  There are more but these are common ones.

T4  levels go up and then the  TSH level will go down.  TSH is a Thyroid Stimulating Hormone like a sensor in the body.  It ranges from 0.45 to 4.50 and if it falls towards the low end it means you have too much hormone in you or HYPER.

Blood work from a "FEW years ago" is way OUTDATED and you should have new blood work.  It needs to be current.

Please ask your GP to order a TSH level T4, and T3 level.   Blood work is pershiable and is only good for a few months.

If you are having trouble gaining weight  it must have changed over time and these results are too old to say. 

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

The first one was one year ago and the second one was this February.
    • Posted

Hello Again Erik8ppt:

It is past 2 months old and needs to be current and a TSH level is needed along with T4 and T3 levels.  It is not a good idea to use blood work from 10 months ago!

It is easy enough to order the tests  any GP can order them, and simple enough for you to go to a lab and have blood drawn.   I would say if you are having any of the symptoms  mentioned above it bears seeing an Endocrinologist as Hyperthyroidism can damage the heart and cause a fast heart rate if left untreated.

Regards, Stay well,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Erik8ppt, I apologise that I missed "a few years ago". While I still stand by my remarks please do what  Shelley says, go get tested again so that everything is current. Post your new results and we will "speak" again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.