Do I have IBS?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

Sorry but getting a little paranoid here and was wondering if you good folks with experience of IBS could see if I'm likely to have IBS or something else. I'm 31 and I've had issues with my digestive system for a while now (6 months minimum) but the symptoms seem to be getting worse and the last week has been horrible.

I have a sharp pain just below my ribs on the left hand side, I feel bloated, my lower back is sore. In the last week I have completely lost my appetite which is unusual for me, I don't get mildly hungry until after lunch. All that points to IBS but my main issue is blood on my stools, it does not seem to be much, it's light and on the outside. My stools are pale and food not completely broken down. I'm not sure if it is connected but in the last 2 months my skin has become really dry.

My symptoms usually improve with a Rennie.

I went to the doctor and had blood and stool tests last week but I'm getting worried now.

If anyone has something similar it would be good to hear.

Thank you,

Luke

0 likes, 14 replies

Report / Delete

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Luke

I'm 30 male and I get s the symptoms your describing but no blood in stool, that would be my concern,

Does your gp know about the blood? If not I would be getting more tests regarding the blood,

I get a lot of it and I also have health anxiety which I think plays havoc with me, snow balls all symptoms. All the best go see gp bout blood let us know how you get on

Matt

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Luke

Are you a heavy drinker

Andy

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for your replies.

I wouldn't say I'm a heavy drinker no. I'll go put maybe once a month? I would say I have a poor diet though.

I've been diagnosed previously with piles a couple of years ago when when symptoms were similar but not as extreme.

On examination last week I was told it wasn't piles with the bleeding this time

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Have you had a stool culture test? To rule out infection. Your colon comes down the left side and under your ribs to be the sigmoid area. Quite a problem area for uc and dv but at 31 unlikely to be a serious issue but needs ruling out. Light blood on the surface of stools is associated with piles and these are as common as mud and can be quite big and flare up. Food not breaking down can be malabsorption. Are your losing weight? Uc or crones. Back pain and dry skin with this could be pancreatitis but unlikely. Are you on medication that could affect your body's reponces? Stress can be a massive issue even without noticing it. Are your bowel movements normal to you? Look at the Bristol stool chart and keep a diary of this for the doctor. Do you chew your food and do you get a balence of diet. Drink water. Your pee should be straw colour. Are you overweight. Do you exercise. Even walking etc. And to end do you have any intolerance to wheat or lactose? Has your doctor done a examination of your stomach. Light blood in your stool piles. Dark blood is much more of a concern.

Hope this helps

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I had a stool test at the same time I had my blood taken so also waiting on the results of that. I'm not losing weight, I've been a steady 16 stone for a while now, classed as overweight on the BMI but when getting checked I'm told it's fine. I cycle in to work every day and have done for years, only 8 miles a day total but it's enough to break sweat. I'm not on any medication. My stools look normal to me but they are not "normal", perhaps paler than usual and a bit looser.

I don't mentally feel stressed right now but I am in the process of moving into a new house on Thursday. Maybe I'm physically stressed from it.

Thank you for all the help with this. I will keep you updated with the results.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You should check what your are eating if some things are not fully being broken down.  If you are eating tomatoes or other red vegetables maybe this could be what is on the outside of your stools.

However, if you are sure it is blood, tell your doctor when you go back for your test results.  It could be haemorrhoids or an anal fissure if you have been constipated but it is a red flag symptom and should be investigated.  Your doctor may refer you for a colonoscopy.

Some of your symptoms could be IBS but passing blood is not.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello I am not a doc so first point of call visit a doc and then come back once you have a diagnosis I would say.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Little update here. I got my blood results back last week, and was informed that they were all "normal". Unfortunately my useless doctors surgery lost my stool sample.

I'm still having issues with discomfort with my abdominal area, it's not as painful as when I originally posted on here and the pain kind of moves it's way around the abdominal and lower back region.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

These symptoms are the same as mine and I was diagnosed with IBS.  What did the doctor say about the blood?  Also make sure you have a repeat stool test if the previous one was lost.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The blood in the stool? Not a lot really, I went back a few days later after I had given my samples to try and get further tests as the pain got pretty bad. They told me there was nothing they could do until they got the results back, which they lost!

I think the blood in the stool is from when I pass the stool. I've previously been diagnosed with piles so hoping it's that.

I need to book in to see a doctor again but due to the move and now I have a commute I find it hard. I'm booked in for a week Saturday.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

If the stool test comes back negative like the other tests you've had, then IBS can be diagnosed. The other thing you could try is the Fodmap diet to identify any food intolerances.  Good luck with any orher tests.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up