Do I need to increase??

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on 10mg for 3wks now (start of week 4)...

I don't feel as anxious as I was but I do feel lost as in what way to feel... lately I'm very down and irritable an some days I can't sit still...I've also alot of pressure behind my right eye which is very irritation..

I don't feel like I'm same person as I was I feel very different.. brain fog I think 

I'm not sure whether to up my dosage as the side effects are horrible... will they get worse if I up the dosage.? 

Any Advice 

Thanks Cheryl smile

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey Cheryl!

I wouldn't increase your dose until you speak to your doctor. He might want to take you of them if you are having side effects and try something else rather than up the dose and hope for the best. 

I was, well still am on cit was only on it for 4 weeks and I was getting bad side effects but my mood was a lot better. He recommended that I came of them. I went through 2-3 weeks of hell, mentally the pills changed the way I thought about things, the way I felt about things. Was so scared finally stuck it out to the 3rd/4th week and was still getting bad side effects but manageable compared to the starting weeks ( anything was manageable after the first couple of weeks) I can see some benefits now but it's not worth it for me. 

I am currently slowly coming of it and going onto propanolol when I stop this next week. I hope you find something that works for you, even if it is cit all the better!!

Good luck! 

• Posted

Hey Steeko 

When I was at my gp on friday she wanted to increAs my dosage from 10 to 20mg.... I am very anti tablets an would prefer not to be taking anything an try over come this myself... 

Some days are harder then others an unbearable

today I feel hyper an full of energy with the shakes  but I feel emotional iswell... 

The worse is not sleeping at night.Its been 2mths now since I slept right thru the night.. 

I've been put on a waiting list to speak with a therapist so it's gonna be a long wait...

I just want to be myself an be the person I was feels like it's never gonna come sad 

if I change tablets will I have the bad side effects all over again??

Cheryl 

• Posted

Hi Cheryl. I understand about being anti tablets. I'm like that too, but my doctor said you would take them if you had pneumonia or another illness,  and this is what this is....an illness like any other. As far as changing to a differnet drug, you shouldn't have to go through all the side effects again as essentially they all do the same thing, it's just that some agree with certain people better than others. You will become your old self again, it's just going to take time. 
    • Posted

you could ask your doctor for something for sleep as this is hugely important in recovery. I had a horrible time sleeping but was put on a low dose of Olanzapine to help sleep and it really helped. But obviously the person you need to speak to is your doctor. Just keep going back to them, they are there to help you after all. I just keep going back even if they're sick of the sight of me. 😀
    • Posted

ey Jimmy 

I've noticed everyday is diffrent  and the mornings seem to be the worse for me...

I'm unsure whether to increase or change tablets.. I do feel they are working but maybe not as quick as I'd like...I understand they take time I have to keep reminding myself of that.

In regards to sleeping pills I'd rather not i do understand sleep is a big part of recovery but taking one tablet is bad enough(fear of dependency on sleeping pills )I have however started taking a herbal tablet melatonin 3 mg helps improve sleep I'm not sure if it's working for me only started  

taking it

Thank you so much Jimmy you've been alot of support for me smile Boyfriend doesn't understand an isn't much support sad only support I have is my parents an there back in Ireland as i moved to Canada over a year ago.

• Posted

That's no problem Cheryl. The tablets I have aren't sleeping tablets as such, they just make you a bit drowsy. They are for anxiety/depression also. . What I tend to do is not watch t.v. a couple of hours before bed and then have a hot milky drink before bed as its suppost to help with sleep. Might be worth a try. As far as time limit for meds to work, I asked my psychiatrist yesterday and she said they can take anywhere between 2-3 months to fully work. I've been told I may need an add on to my Citalopram if they don't work on their own. I've been told to be more patient and a lot of people on here have said that they are so worth the wait. Keep going Cheryl ! 😀
    • Posted

Hey sorry to hear your going through this, I too am new to this also and I am also anti pills and have been for years but I finally admitted to myself I can't cope living in sadness. 

I'm glad you to

• Posted

Hey sorry to hear your going through this, I too am new to this also and I am also anti pills and have been for years but I finally admitted to myself I can't cope living in sadness. We all deserve to be happy. I would rather have a short life feeling happy rather than have a long life in sadness.

I'm glad you took the step to try and be happy again. I kinow excatly what your going through with the shakes and hyper/sadness. I felt hopeless in the first couple of weeks. Hopefully they will pass !

Sleep is a massive problem with me and has been for about 4 years now. I tried nytol one a night, they really helped me when I couldn't get to sleep. You should give them ago see if they work for you. 

I am unsure if you change med's if you will get side effects all over again, each different med reacts different in everyones body. Example - you could get horrible side effects on cit and another type of med you might get 0 side effects.

If I were you (this is just advice, please speak to your doctor before doing anything) I would continue cit give it a go try and stick it out, if things aren't getting any better or its getting worse just come of them and ask for a different one (make sure you speak to your doctor on how to come of them properly and slowly.

I refuse to take another SSRI as I don't want to go through what I went through before I am going to try these new meds and see how I get on! Remember if one med doesn't work it doesn't mean that you will never be happy again, you can try other things and eventually something will work ! Along side therapy.

I hope you are feeling better soon! Keep us updated on how you are getting on!

• Posted

Hey Jimmy Steeko 

Thank you so much for the advice I really appericate it. smile 

At night before bed I always drink calomine tea to try realx myself.. sometimes it works some times it doesn't.. 

So last night I went the gym (as it helps reduce anxiety) but I wasn't tired after it which I suppose is a bit strange.. I think I need to go more often smile 

Today I don't feel 2 bad a little shaky an sore eyes but manageable 

I would prefer if I didn't have to take SSRI but like you said Jimmy it's an illness that needs to be treated

still haven't heard from the therapist as there's a long wait list... hoping it's gonna start before Xmas..

oh I've my Xmas party coming up next Friday alcohol yes or no? I've heard it affects an doesn't affect? 

Thanks 

Cheryl 

• Posted

Hey Cheryl,

ive had a couple of beers since starting them but I wouldn't drink too much. The only way to know for sure would be to try. Maybe have a test run and see how you feel. 😀If you take the meds in the evening maybe take them after your party before bed so hopefully you'll sleep through any adverse effects. I haven't been told not to drink but as alcohol is actually a depressant, it's the opposite of what the tablets are for so definitely wouldn't drink everyday. 

• Posted

Hey

I have a glass of warm milk before I go to sleep it help me get to sleep! Also have nights where it doesn't work and some nights it works great! 

Excerise is brillant for anixety, my doctor also recommended it to me try to go 3-4 times a week!

Yeh 100% it needs to be treated! smile I hope you get to see your therapist before xmas! Fingers crossed for you! If there is a long waiting list can you not go to someone else? Have you spoken to your doctor to maybe give you another therapist to see sooner rather than later?

I used to drink once a week before I started cit. Its recommended that you don't drink on them. I wouldn't see the big deal if you had a couple of drinks but don't over do it. I read that that the hangovers on cit are really bad and may reduce the effectiveness of cit. I honestly havn't drank since I started as I don't think its worth it for me as I am not a big drinker anymore anyway, but afterall your on the cit to be happy and enjoy life, so get out there and have a good night!

• Posted

Hey Steeko Jimmy 

I take my meds in the morning it's jus easier for me to remember 

I did have a few beers on halloween but that's when I was really bad an only started taking cit... I did notice that I was dying the next day even tho I wasn't drunk the night before... I don't drink on a regular basics jus mainly big events Xmas bday etc

For me to go to a different therapist I'd have to go private which costs 130 dollars per session which would be about £80-90 or a little over... so its quite expensive... I have a Gp visit card so I don't have to pay the same with referrals so I'll jus have to wait an hope the meds work the way there ment to for now..

Heading into week 5 on Monday so I do hope I'll be able to get back into my sleep pattern soon and most of the side affects are gone the tension behind my eyes is the worse at the moment.. Some days I'm spaced but not as much smile 

starting to feel good slowly smile 

• Posted

Brillant!!! I am Glad your starting to feel better! Yeh I personally don't see any harm in having a drink. 

Yeh It's pretty bad that you would have to pay for it! There is no price tag on happiness, I would If you could afford it maybe taking a couple of paid sessions, like once a month? Until you are able to get further up the waiting list so you can get it for free. I've never went to a therapist due to not wanting to talk about the situation, but my doctor and people on this are telling me I need to go! I guess I am going to try it out when I am ready. Also you seem open and want to talk about the situation so I am sure it'll help you a great deal!

I hope you get sorted!

Have a good night at your Xmas party! Speak to you soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.