Do I need to increase dose?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone

I am going for a check up tonight to the doctors to see how I am getting on.

I have been on 20mg since March and was doing fine up until about 2 weeks ago. My brain won't shut off at night and I can't sleep. Would this be a reason to increase the dosage or try and get something to help me sleep?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks x

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

You could ask doc about increasing to citalopram 30mg or possibly starting you on zopiclone. (sleeping tablet) or weeks supply of diazepam.do u take the citalopram at night? That may be an idea.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had the same problem with my mind not shutting off at might. I'm currently out of state working, so I just upped my dosage myself. But I would tell my doctor about it and see what he says. I take Tylenol PM and melatonin to help me sleep.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi,

Personally I would only advise an increase in dosage if your mental health/depression has deteriorated, I would not increase it due to being awake at night until you know why you are not sleeping. I certainly would think hard before beginning to take sleeping tablets or diazepam- at least until you explore what it is that could be keeping you awake, that is my personal view of course- and I would discuss possible reasons for lack of sleep with your GP, and other alternatives before getting hooked on sleeping pills. I take the citalopram early in the morning and this does not afffect sleep- if you are taking it later in the day- that could impact.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I will speak to the doctor tonight and see what he thinks. I had disturbed sleep before I started taking Citalopram but found that it really helped with shutting off my brain before bed. I take it in the morning when I get up at 7. I don't really want to take sleeping pills as it would probably cause addiction. I am having therapy as well which has helped.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Mermaid,

I would wait until you speak to your doctor about changing your dose.  When I can’t sleep now, I do use the Tylenol p.m.  I don’t use often, only when I have a real problem, and it seems to work for me.  And the pharmisist told me it is safe.  I am frightened of those sleeping meds, I just take so many meds already, I just don’t want to take any more than I have to.  But, I do know what you mean about the brain not wanting to shut off!  It truly is awful!!  Good Luck at the Doctor tonight!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi deidra 

thank you for your reply. 

The doctor has increased my dose to 30mg so hopefully this will help or I will pop to the pharmacy and see if u can get some Tylenol. Thanks xx

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up