Do I need to increase my dose

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey ... I started in April on 5mg of escitalopram, this seemed to work for about 7 weeks, but then I crashed, right back to square 1, I upped to 10mg,  for about 3 weeks I felt great, the best I have in months,  week 4 n I started to crash again, anxiety is thro the roof even with diazepam, what do I do

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You should contact your doctor and explain to him /her what is going on and follow their instruction. You might need to increase your dosage
  • Posted

hi mia,

this is a very good question as there could be different reasons why this is happening:

- could be you're taking the medication for too short a while. sometimes it takes month to get stable

- could be the medication is not working, the weeks of relieve are due to placebo effect

- could be there is something else going on in your body... hormonal changes for instance

- could be the dose is too small (therapeutic dose normally is 10mg up to 20mg with escitalopram), so there is still room on the upper side

- could be something that is going on in your life

- could have something to do with diazepam (i don't know whether you take it regularly or only in an emergency, so if you take it more or less regularly it could be from that as well)

- are you taking the escitalopram regularly? every day at about the same time?

- did you check whether you might have missed a dose or a few?

- could be your condition is worsening

definitely discuss this thoroughly with your doctor/therapist as you can see there are lots of potential reasons.

kind regards,

d

• Posted

I think you need to see your doctor. It depends on how bad your anxiety is. You need to give your doctor a clear indication of how the anxiety is affecting you, so they can judge the severity. I started citalopram in jan, after 5 weeks developed what i now call raging anxiety. Lasted for 6 weeks. Was so bad, didnt once feel tired. It was only when i mentioned i was pacing up and down while vaping, and couldnt sit down for more than 10 minutes, that my doctor realised the citalolpram dose i was on was causing it. Dropped dose, it relieved anxiety a bit, but depression got worse. Basically ciralopram was no good for me, had to switch to venlafaxine. The fact that the diazepam is not controling your anxiety, suggests it may not be suitable for you.
  • Posted

I think you need to see your doctor. It depends on how bad your anxiety is. You need to give your doctor a clear indication of how the anxiety is affecting you, so they can judge the severity. I started citalopram in jan, after 5 weeks developed what i now call raging anxiety. Lasted for 6 weeks. Was so bad, didnt once feel tired. It was only when i mentioned i was pacing up and down while vaping, and couldnt sit down for more than 10 minutes, that my doctor realised the citalolpram dose i was on was causing it. Dropped dose, it relieved anxiety a bit, but depression got worse. Basically ciralopram was no good for me, had to switch to venlafaxine. The fact that the diazepam is not controling your anxiety, suggests it may not be suitable for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.