Do I sound depressed?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 18 and I went through a bad patch this year with my parents. I went through the "boys faze" or the "teenage girls faze", and had my first boyfriend a few months ago. My family hated him and got me to leave him and focus on school. It was the best thing as I didn't love him. But they took my phone away and my social accounts. I can't talk to friends or do anything this is making me cry constantly when I'm alone. I hate not having trust for so long and having no contact with people other than at school and family. I feel alone and ignored which gets to me alot and because of this my mum thinks I'm being deceitful when I'm crying. I just want to have a social life like both my eldest brothers have even though one is two years younger than me. Please can I get some advice on this as it is getting to me a lot.

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Hiya Georgia,

First of all, I'd like to say I'm 18 and can totally relate to you.

I think all parents have been through that stage where we have to cut off someone because it's effecting our decisions and exams, because they only want the best for us.

Sometimes people are cruel to be kind.

However, in your case your an 18 year old girl and you learn things for yourself, your now an adult.

Can I ask if you work apart from study or do you not have time?

This could help as applying for jobs can help you to Engadge with new people and once working you can show your family you have your own independence, also meeting friends at work can be great as you have then plenty opportuinties to go out after and do things of your choice.

If not maybe join a club of some sort,so your meeting new people, then bring someone new home and introduce them to your family. They could then realise the people you associating your time with are actually good people, and there worry may

Stop.

Im 18, in the past I put all my attention onto a boy who wasn't good for me, and I done rubbish during my exams.

If still feeling down, you could perhaps go and see your GP who will guide you to the correct councillor, which then if telling your family your parents may then understand your feeling isolated.

What I can say though is, don't ever lock your self away, talk to people

Open up, people won't know how you feel unless you say.

I hope I helped.

Any quiries don't be scared to message me.

I am happy to help.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for getting back to me I have been applying to different jobs and have had no luck so far. I have an interview tomorrow which I'm nervous about. I try to talk to my parents but they don't want to hear about when I'm upset as it is a lot lately. I want to be able to speak to my friend of 6 years but I have no way of being able to do this unless she pops round unexpectedly I want independence and I'm not getting that at home. I'm off to uni in September and want to have trust back before then. Any advice on how to get trust back as I'm treated like a 14 year old girl. I agree I put all my attention on my ex when I was with him but I have put my all into my studies and have gone up two grades in all. I just wish they would acknowledge this and see that I have changed.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I can really relate, even though I am a man

My two sisters were given all the freedom they could grab, I had to do as I was told and when my sisters fel I was getting away with something They would let my Mother know in no uncertain terms, even when there was ten years difference in age, I was the elder

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi there new to this forum. But all yr comments are so helpful & good to know there are lots of us going thru the same things although i wish it on none of us x hope u have had a good day rather than bad. U sound like me v helpful to others hopefully ppl out there also help u xx m :0)

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You don’t sound depress, sounds like you’re stressed the F out though. It’s normal something a regular teenager goes through when you have strict parents. It’ll get better in a few years if you can get a good paying job and take care of yourself and really become independent.  Having strict parent’s sucks they just don’t understand that you need your own space and privacy but as long as you live with them they’ll treat you like a kid and what can you say it’s their house, their rules.

My advices to you focus on becoming independent, getting a good paying job.  Go to college and get a career that’s your ticket to freedom.  Maybe just rebel back a little bit so you can have friends and have a social life but if that doesn’t work, don’t sweat it it’ll get better when you’re in your 20s. 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up