Do I start or not?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I have been offered Orlistat by my GP in order to assist in weight loss. I'm 5'6\" and weigh 104kgs. I try to diet and exercise but struggle due with work hours and motivation.

I have read up on this drug on the internet and tried to weigh up the pros & cons.

The obvious side affects of bowel issues and wind I can deal with but I was wondering whether anyone had any of the potential liver problems.

Some of the stats say that in a survey, users of Orlistat lost between 2-3kgs more than someone not using it over a year. Well with a good diet and exercise maybe one would lose that anyway.

Also, what happens when you stop. Has anyone put the weight back one.

Any advice much appreciated.

Regards.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

the tablets are there to aid you in weight loss and to change your diet for a more sensible low fat one which should become a life style change and not something you just take on when on the tablets.

They don't work for everyone and of course if you are eating huge amounts of fatty foods then switch to a low fat diet you should lose the weight.

My understanding is that GP's should only be handing these out to people who have tried to lose weight unaided and have been unsuccessful and that they fall within the advised criteria.

• Posted

Thanks for that clarification Suza, it helped put things into perspective.

I have been overweight for about 7 years and can never seem to get below 95kgs regardless of my excercise regime or strict healthy eating pattern. I think that is why my GP suggested finding out a bit more about Orlistat before prescribing them.

Maybe I just haven't been honest enough with the food diary but the Orlistat almost forces you to adopt a healthy low fat diet due to the adverse treatment affects.

I do want to make a lifestyle change to my eating and exercise habits.

I'm not even on the tablets yet and I keep thinking about fat content in everything I eat.

Anyway, one last question.

If one limits oneself to 30g of fat per day and a max of 15g at any one meal or even lower, what is the point of taking the tablets. Does the non-absorption of that small amount of fat in the gut make that amount of difference.

Kind Regards.

• Posted

I found my GP was useless to give guidance but my practice has a great nursing team who are more knowledgeable on how to get the best out of the tablets and who advise and encourage.

Can you make an appointment with the practice nurse/dietician and discuss all area's of weight loss and the use of the tablets. ?

As for the loss when on the tablet's it state's that it remove more fat than on an average diet so giving the user the positive effect of losing weight quicker than normal. But you will like on every diet plateau out and you will need to alter your diet/exercise regime to kick start your body burning off the calories and fat again.

• Posted

Personally I think it is well worth it. Even if you decide to use it to get going to get into the habit of eating lower fat alternatives. I thought I was eatting a low fat diet - I was shocked at the fat contents of some of the things I was eating. The first few weeks are the worst, I never thought I'd find the time to count fat content, count calories & keep a diary and spend more time shopping but if you want to succeed you will find the time. I After a few months you could try to carry on without the tablets and see if you can stick to the low fat diet but ask your nurse or doctor if you can still go to her for regular weigh ins advice and support.

I find just logging onto here motivates me to carry on as you realise you are not on your own. Spend time looking through what people have posted, there is plenty of help & advice and if you are down somebody will post to help spear you on. Good Luck let us know what you decide to do. smile

• Posted

I couldn't agree more. I have struggled to lose weight even though I am really active> Only been doing orlistat for a week and at first thought it would be a nightmare keeping track of fat content in foods but you soon get used to it. I keep looking on here as it helps and encourages me. Felt a bit down today about it all but feel better already just by looking at peoples comments and of course success stories :lol:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.