Do I suffer from atrophic vaginitis?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been having lower abdominal discomfort, burning and mild itching for the past three years.  It seems like I have got a urine infection but tests came clear.  I also seem to have slight vaginal discharge.  My GP referred me to a gynae and he could not find anything wrong, vaginal swab and urine test came normal.  I asked about AV and he did a blood test for oestrogen and this cave normal and he said I have not got AV.  Everything seems quite healthy down there except I keep suffering from this burning sensation and discomfort.  I keep going to my GP and she said I have got AV and prescribed me Ovestin cream which I used last year & did not help, I was having hot flushes and sore breasts.  Today I went to see her again as this burning sensation was driving me crazy.  She prescribed the cream again, I do not know whether it will help or should I give it another go.

I was also surprised that I had blood in my urine and suffered two urine infections without me knowing.  Although I suffer from burning sensation, it does not burn when I pass urine and I have got a good flow.  She also treated me for thrush with no effect.  In the end she took a swab and it came negative although the nurse said she could see thick white dischage up.  I have come to the conclusion the slight discharge I suffer does not mean I have thrush.  Looking at the symptoms of AV, it does seem I have got it.  Now who do I believe the consultant or my GP.  The consultant did quite a few tests like ultra sound and probing my vagina with something I cannt remember what it was last year.  Strange when I was on holiday for three weeks, no symptoms, it only bothers me when I am idle and watching TV.  I am also concerned I might suffer with urine infection without me knowing due to this burning sensation.  Aftet two lots of antibiotics for urine infections and cream for thrush, I am still the same.  Thanks

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Marie I had burning it was inflammation of the bladder something has irritated your bladder and it reacts by burning. Try d mannoose from health shop or marshmallow again from health shop drink loads of water and hot water with lemon in it ( it's alkaline) I too had blood in urine but hospital said some women just get it I too had no urine infection I too have not got yhrush but slight discharge think its vaginitis !! Not sure it is all confusing so much crap in menopause. To deal with . I'm also av as well as vulvadynia the joy of womanhood. Hope some of this helps you 
    • Posted

Thanks, glad I could relate to you.  GP examined me as soon as she saw the discharge she treated me with two lots of canesten with no effect.  Now I know sight vaginal discharge does not mean I have got thrush.  The consultant did tell me vaginal discharge is normal. I do drink plenty of water, when I gave the nurse my urine to test it looks like water and I know I did not have any uringe infection.  My burning sensation is with me all the time, but it is something I can tolerate.  I think once I started on the hormone cream I will to have to continue on and off.  Trying to ease one problem sometimes create another one.  Do you use anything for your AV?  I am 66, I am well past the menopause.
    • Posted

Hi marie yes have used vitamin e capsules inserted in delicate bits also yes lubricant very soothing and intrafresh garlic and rose oil for bacterial stability. Tried ovestin vaginal cream but still got sore not sure if I should try again or not. Wish I was well past menopause still going strong starting 12 th year next year. Wish to God it would just end and I could be normal again   How do you know you are well past menopause? Try the marshmallow for the burning it should ease it health shops stock it it helps soothe the bladder. 

• Posted

Thanks, I will try the marshmallow, is it the marshmallow sweet?  I gave a urine specimen to be tested again.   Iwill use natural yoghurt if I think I have got thrush, but do not do like me I have inserted a glove of garlic after researching on the internet and it got stuck on the thrid time.  Never again.  I am debating whether to give the ovestin cream a go again but my symptoms are manageable only bug me when I am doing nothing and watching TV. 
    • Posted

Sorry no not the nice sweet marshmallow it's a bitter tincture called dandelion and marshmallow it soothes the bladder one teaspoon in a little water   Herbs hands healing sell it if you decide to try it write to them and ask how best to use it and what it's for. They have a herbalist there hope it helps 
  • Posted

Hi Marie. Sorry about your suffering. If you read the many discussions on patient.info I think you will find some interesting suggestions as many women are suffering with these conditions. just  like you. I myself have many similar symptoms. I have av and can have thrush at times, BV, burning, swelling, irritation. It is a fine balancing act all the time as some times creams work and other times the same creams are irritating.
    • Posted

Thanks Sue, I will follow your advice and read the discussions on the forum.  Like you say sometimes cream work and other time the same cream is irritating which make me wonder even if the ovestin cream works I will have to take it on and off.  By easing a problem I might start another one esp side-effects.  I have never taken to HRT even I have a bad time with stomach upset with antibiotics.
  • Posted

Do you think that when we are relaxing our minds wander to our AV problems and we begin to feel symptoms. Know it sounds strange but I do that sometimes.
    • Posted

Hi sus I'm better doing things and not dwelling on symptoms so yes you are probably right. But if the centre of you is not comfy then it puts all the rest of you out. I'd love a win win situation using a cream which stops it all I expect everyone in here would. So we all know what we want for Christmas. !! 
    • Posted

Yea and ha ha, wish Santa could oblige
  • Posted

Totally can relate. Had many uti,s since menopause. Now postmenopause. Still same symptoms as uti like constantly burning and uncomfortable in vagina area. Pee a lot. Last two urine samples did show no infection. One test came back with bit blood in but no infection.fed up of this constantly uncomfortable burning feeling. Doc gave me vagifem. Not much help yet. Sometimes better for few hrs then start again. Frustrating.
    • Posted

I totally agree, very frustrating for us. I find this sharing forum helpful.
    • Posted

Hi I get all this no infection some blood in tribe. Try drinking good old fashioned barley water made from scratch add two lemons squeezed when you have boiled barley for 30 mins cool and drink. Soothes the bladder give it s try. 
    • Posted

I am glad I have found this forum as I thought there must be something seriously wrong.  I discussed all the big C's with my GP.  Although it is frustrating and uncomfortable, I can put up with it.  GP gave me Ovestin cream, I was going to wait until the festive season to start.  Hormone cream does not agree with me.  Constant burning, abdominal discomfort and slight vagina discharge are a pain to put up with.  Many times I have been to the GP and asked for a urine test, I cannot tell whether I have got uring infection or not.  I am a bit concerned of untreated UIT if I am not aware of it can damage my kidney.  Although I have burning seantion, I do not have urine urgency I can hold my urine for a couple of hours and the flow is very good.  Gynae told me it is all healthy down there.  Does not seem to have any other option but put my with it.  I do drink lots of water, my urine looks like water when I gave a specimen to the nurse.  I do appreciate posts of advice from fellow sufferers.
    • Posted

Hi Marie maybe the ovestin needs to be made up with a different base I don't know what it's mixed with to make it but that could be your allergy   Do some research into how it's made up then ask if for instance it could be mixed with coconut oil. Etc 

Hope that makes sense. 

• Posted

I have explored the gynae part but when I had two recurrent UTI within 6 months, the first in my 66 yrs I was concerned.  I think this is something I need to explore GP thinks I am getting paranoid.  The gynae did tell me why do you think your problem is gynae?
    • Posted

Gp refered me now to have my bladder checked  she think better to be safe as blood in urine. So so worried. Constanly burning feeling in vagina and urge to pee and i pee a lot

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.