do my parents add to my anxiety? Answer please

Posted , 4 users are following.

So anyone whos read anything of mine knows that ive had anxiety that stemmed from an absuive relationship. it completely went away after CBT but returned when my partner came home from working away. I then decided I had to leave him this Xmas.

I got a stint of depression for a few months and that went away (although its reared its ugly head now Ive started taking birth control - that's a discussion i posted in the depression forum)

ANYWAY

I live with my parents again and everyday is usallly anxious for me, not so that I have a panic attack but things put me on edge and I worry it will happen and ill go crazy ect. Them coming and going, inviting people over, going out with them ect.

They've gone on holiday and I don't feel anxious. Im alone in the house which usally bothers me because I'd be thiking what if i panic and they are not here to help me, but now I know they arent here to help. I am actually calm and feeling quite responsible and sane.

They never caused my anxiety, as like I said it happend 1 year into a relationship where I experience a lot of violence but now it seems like they are adding to it? What's that about?

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah, im much the same, I love my hubby and daughters so much but I am on edge when they are at home and I am desperate for them to go out or go to bed so I csn be alone, think im a bit of a fruit loop.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hello, I don't think so. There are so many of us, we can't be smile I think we are suffering from GAD, where anything can set it off and not related to anything specific 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sarah, I hope this goes through to you since I haven't been able to post on this stie due to the face that I'm unable to sign in correctly. I hope I'm not wasting my words and then it wont go through. i'm going to send it now and I'll see. Ronda
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Okay, it went through. What is GAD? Will anyone tell me what this is? I need to know. I know for myself that when I go through any stressful time it may trigger older events and feelings. At these times I need to be alone with myself. When I'm with others I feel I have to go along with the crowd and when I'm alone I can get into my feelings, cry or sleep or curl up into a ball. 

Living with one's parents can surely sitimulate old issues you may have had with them that may not have been as traumatic as witht the guy who was violent with you or nothing bad may have ever hit you from your parents. "HIt' Metaphoricaly speaking. But everyone has had some run ins wth ones parents during one' s lifetime, no matter how big or how small. I know for myself being around anyone one has to put on some type of performance unless the other person totally accepts us for where we are at that moment. It sounds like you have a lot to do , too much, by living with them and you aren't ready for all this activity. It takes a lot of time to recover from any abusive situation and having to do all their parties and their visits and whatever I'd find to be a lot  of stress being around anyone who'd expect anything from me like this. If you understand yourself and your needs you';d be more gentle wth yourself as you need to be with the little girl in you who was abused. she needs your nurturing. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

HI Ronda, 

Its generealised anxiety disorder, so anxiety to basically any trigger. Thankyou, you are right I think that it's a bit much for me and I do have to care for the girl inside who had a bad time. I am still enjoying the time by myself, very relaxing 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up