Do others experience similar symptoms to myself?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have suffered from GORD for 12 years now and am at present taking x1 30mg tablet of Lansoprazole (switched from Omeprazole) because my symptoms just lately have been getting worse.  I am due to have an endoscopy once my appointment comes through.  What i would like to know is whether others experience similar symptoms to me, i've listed them below:-

1)  As soon as i wake up in the mornings and sit up in bed, i start burping and belching (even on an empty stomach).

2)  i have a wedge pillow to keep me elevated when i sleep but also upon waking, i can feel a regurgitation sound coming up in my throat (like a crackling, popping candy type sound but no bad taste in my mouth, just this noise going up and down until i start sitting up

3)  As soon as i eat or drink anything, i start to burp and belch (seems like even before the food and drink hits my stomach

Wondering if this is all GORD related?  it really is starting to annoy me now.  Thanks in advance for any advice and feedback.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Yes Raphaella, can I suggest that you ask your doctor prescribes you Gaviscon Advance! It's also available off prescription over the counter! Also a diet high in fat and carbs doesn't help! and drink b4 a meal not after because the liquid stays on top of your stomach! Gaviscon Advance in Aniseed flavour I find to be the best
  • Posted

Hi Raffaela

Below is a post that I sent to a related forum on ghere and which may help with your worsening GORD situation. It has been an absolute revelation for me just when I was approaching despair

Hope it helps

I have lived with acid reflux for most of my life. I had been on Omeprazole for about 15 years during which time the reflux morphed into acid regurgitation ... awake most of the night belching back acid flavoured undigested food 12 hours after I had eaten it!

Things came to ahead on Boxing Day 2014 at which point I decided to do some research online in a desperate attempt to change things. As a result of this I read and bought into the idea promoted mostly on amercian sites that the problem with reflux is not that you produce too much acid but that you dont produce enough to digest food properly and this puts pressure on the valve at the bottom of the oesphagus. The arguement is that the medical profession just treat the symptoms not the cause (which if you believe the theory actually makes taking PPI's worse!). 

Since this time I have been taken 2 Hydrochloric Acid with Pepsin tablets with every meal (except breakfast) along with Digestive Enzymes. I havent had a single bout of reflux or regurgitation since doing this and mostly have an overwhelming sense that the food is being efficiently digested.

I still have discomfort (including belching on an empty stomach!) because I believe that my oesophagus has become damaged over the years ... i'm working on this (I think a strict diet is the answer, no spicey foods) but do find that Slippery Elm helps to soothe and the point is that it is now manageable not miserable!

Regards

Mark

• Posted

I think yor stomach is making too much acid because the pills you take or something else you're taking has ant-acid properties.

when you take this it reduces the acid in the stomach, so our dumb organs believes it has to make more acid. And that's what makes you suffer. (Acid kick-back or rebound)

You can test this by drinking a can of coca cola at about 5 p.m. - the phosphoric acid in it fools or tricks the stomach into making less acid!! try a couple of days in a row and see if the reflux is a bit better.

if it's a bit better, then you should trace the ant acid causing the problem - if you take calcium supplements it's probably that doing it. They are poison for me! 

You our can buy special hydrochloric acid later or just carry on with a can of coca cola a day until the stomach readjusts itself.

Im not a doctor but this worked for me when I had terrible acid reflux caused by calcium supplements!

• Posted

Hi raffaela I used to get these symptoms. It actually got better taking digestive enzymes as I wasn't breaking down the food properly. It might be something worth considering?
    • Posted

I bought some multi digestive enzyme tablets the other day and am trying these out.  I'm also taking Acidophilus Plus (probiotic capsules) so will see if these both make any difference in a week or so.
  • Posted

I am suffering with gerd and have similar

Symptoms, I burp constantly terrible gas.

I have to sleep practically sat up. I'm taking esomprazole 60 mg and 300 ranitidine and Gaviscon throughout the day and night.

I have gurgling feeling all the time. I'm trying to get funding for the linx procedure.

• Posted

I have a wedge pillow for sleeping and i always noticed that if i ever went away anywhere and stayed at either a hotel or friend or family house, without the wedge pillow i would always wake up with terrible reflux.  I know i will feel better in myself (peace of mind) once i have had the endoscopy and ultrasound scan (scan is for seeing if i have gallstones).
    • Posted

Gaviscon every day would cause acidity - Google this: "acid rebound" or see my earlier comments.

i would dump all my ant acids and take a can of coca cola at 6 p.m. - the phosphoric acid in it signals the organs to produce less acid ( the ant acids make them produce more acid to try to counteract the ant acids, hence acid rebound)

also, try to eat easily digestible foods and stop eating at least 4 hours before sleep. 

• Posted

It is good for me to know that i am not the only one who is experiencing these symptoms although from reading lots of posts, GERD/GORD affects people in very different ways ie i don't tend to get the burning sensation in the chest, mine goes in my back (lower back to middle back) and when i once mentioned this to the GP he did say that it was still reflux as stomach related problems can be back related too.  I am so desperate to lose weight (I am trying very hard) as i know that a couple of stones to start off with would do me the world of good.  I remember one GP telling me that he too suffered from acid reflux and he lost a few stones in weight and he said that his symptoms disappeard (I can only hope!)
    • Posted

Hi hopefully the endoscopy will give

You some answers. I found changing

My diet has helped a little avoiding

Fried, spicy foods, gassy drinks etc. I've

Also found eating just before going

To bed is best to avoid. Good luck

With your appointment.

• Posted

I have also suffered GERD for many years and am on 40mg Nexiium daily. Unfortunately I recently had an abdominal ultrasound which shows I also have a large hiatus hernia. I have to have an Esophageal pH Test to check the acid levels in my stomach and, depending on the results, I would need either fundoplication or Linx surgery. I'm not too keen on any op as I've had a couple of strokes and pulmonary embolism in the last 10 years.Has anyone had either of these ops and, if so, how did they turn out? Sorry Raffaela, i haven't really helped you out on your query have I but good luck with your scope.
    • Posted

I was wondering whether i too have a hiatus hernia, would the doctor be able to feel this?  I have never heard of any of these operations before but i can relate on how you must feel about operations as i get nervous at the thought, i guess we all do really but if it is needed then we have to go with it.  Hope you get sorted out soon.
  • Posted

You would feel very tender in the stomach area if you had a hiatus hernia but the scope will certainly show it up if you have one. It isn't pleasant as it makes the acidity worse and makes everything taste really metallic. Here's hoping you haven't!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.