Do work need to be made aware?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All

I'm just thinking work have now seen me have 2 panic attacks but do they need to know I have been diagnosed as suffering with anxiety and if so do they need something in writing from the docs?

1 like, 12 replies

Report / Delete

12 Replies

• Posted

I would tell them just incase it happens at work again and then they will understand and know how to help. I use to keep quiet about all this anexity and depression but now I tell people so they know and they will understand. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

They don't need to know unless it's likely to affect performance or sick time, but if your comfortable telling them if won't do any harm
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks both, I wasn't to sure if it was something that had to be done or wheter it was up to me

I will probably have a word with my manager about it once she gets back from holiday just so they know it could happen again and what to do if it does

Thanks x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It's always tricky but mostly the emphasis is on the employee to inform the employer to ensure that all is being done under the equality act for employee 

also if you are diagnosed and inform work then you can't be sacked without proper proceedures being followed nor asked to do anything that comes under discrimination.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you. I am going to try and go back to the doctors tomorrow as had a bad day today and get their confirmation this is definetly anxiety as then I can inform work

They seems pretty good and want to help all they can but I would rather them know just to be sure x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

There's about £10 charge for standared letter and up to £50 if full reports are neneededis your anxiety linked to a reason for ex mine is linked to severe trauma in the past because sadly anxiety is viewed as not important or real illness
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

And u wonder why u r anxious ,4of the most stressful things apart from divorce or similar

so take it easy on yourself you have the right to feel in a mess and anxious tell your manager all of this if you feel it explains the onset of anxiety

accept work with it and look forward to getting better because you can and you will

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes they are and they are having a horrible impact

I am trying to take the steps to work towards it though I feel it will be a very long and hard road

I will talk to work aswell x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

My therapist told me im not obliged to tell any one at work but i think they have all guessed any way.... It really depends on how well you get on with your boss and if you think kt is going to have an effect on your work, for example... Are you having panic attacks at work or time off sick
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

If u look up www.mentalhealth works it will describe how to do so best approach

you can't argue in court if you are sacked its cos I was ill if you havnt told them they also have workplace accommodation to provide ,

have a look it tells you what to say

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up