Do you drink coffee with your SVT?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm curious how many of you drinking coffee with your SVT's? I don't drink coffee at all because I'm worried it will trigger my SVT, but sometimes I'm dying to drink a cup of coffee. Does coffee trigger an episode for you or not?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I used to love coffee, the stronger the better and lots of it.

I quit when I was diagnosed with SVT. Every cardiologist asks me whether I drink caffeine so I guess it's a common trigger. I have found to my surprise that De- Caf has much improved since I last tried it 20 odd years ago and I don't miss proper coffee at all.

It may be pure coincidence but I was staying in a hotel where there was no de-caf and I had a regular coffee. Later that day I had the worst episode of SVT I've ever had.

• Posted

So de-caf worked for you without any problems?

• Posted

I have personally experimented with drinking caffeine and abstaining many times, and the only conclusion I have come to is that caffeine for me makes no difference. I do find, however, that alcohol aggravates my SVT (as does marijuana, living in a state where it's legal I learned the hard way it's a no go for us with SVT). There was also a study done on this where they gave a group of patients undergoing ablation for SVT IV caffeine during the mapping phase, and they found that while caffeine did increase blood pressure, it had no effect on heart rate or SVT inducability: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jce.12504

Personally I think the whole thing with caffeine has mostly been due to it seeming to make sense, after all if your heart likes to race out of control, stimulants are probably a bad idea. But in practice I'm not sure there's much actual evidence behind it, but we are all different so what's true for me might not be true for everyone.

• Posted

I too am able to drink decaf. Realized ICED tea was a trigger way before I knew I had SVT and stopped drinking that. Not sure now if it was the caffeine or the iced drink + caffeine

• Posted

i cut down after an episode but kept happening! i had the heart ablation yesterday!!

• Posted

i feel tired but otherwise good. thankfully, it took 15 minutes to map it and whole procedure lasted a little over an hour. i had three areas of misfirings. DR VERY surprised i had not been suffering longer. 2 yrs for me but i never converted back which was why i had ablation.

• Posted

I drink two cups of mocha coffee every day and I find it has no effect on me , I have even had a cup not long after an attack and it has been fine.I think we all have different triggers, mine is definatley stress, not enough sleep and dehydration.

• Posted

I drink coffee or tea everyday. I have not had an episode. However I did elect to get a pacemaker when I had my very first one to control it from happening.

• Posted

Having a pacemaker inserted is not typical treatment for Supraventricular Tachycardia. I think you probably had something else like Ventricular Tachycardia

• Posted

No I was diagnosed with SVT it was my choice to have the pacemaker so I wouldn't have to take any Beta blockers as I'm one who doesn't like to take pills. I'm lot on any Beta blockers at all. Having this allows me to continue living like I never even had SVT. It was choice for me not must have.

• Posted

I had an Ablation done first, and my heart rate rested low I was given an option to try different beta blockers or get a pacemaker to correct it all. I opted for the pacemaker so I could continue with regular program and not have to worry about having any episodes

• Posted

With all this talk of triggers, does anyone think they might have a seasonal trigger? Sounds crazy but the last three years I have had increased SVT frequency and/or severity in late Oct and Nov. Anybody else with similar experiences?

• Posted

I noticed too that late autumn/winter I have more palpitations, for example. I don't know why. 🤔

• Posted

Definitely! My job is very stressful and I times I’m very unhappy I literally walked into the door and had an SVT episode the minute I walk into work work and stress is a huge trigger for me and I only started having severe episodes when I started my job. My job is very stressful and I times I’m very unhappy I literally walked into the door and had an SVT episode the minute I walk into work work and stress is a huge trigger for me and I only started having severe episodes when I started my job three years ago years ago

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.