Do you guys recommend medication for Anxiety?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey Everyone,

I have recently been dealing with anxiety and on and off panic attacks. Like right now my face feels extremely hot and tight, like someone is squeezing my face and head together. I am starting therapy tomorrow to take other steps first instead of going to medication, but what do you all think? Are u all against medication? Does it really help? Does it make u addicted to it? Horrible side effects?

Please help. I feel like this anxiety is on and off everyday and starting to ruin me.

:0(

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Try your therapy and if that don't work I'd try meds I tried my best for about 12 week with out meds just couldn't do it needed something to give me a push its hard so I'm on sertraline now for 5 weeks still waiting for it to kick in we don't have to put up with this every day if we need med then it's better than living like this everyday good luck
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I think you are right to go to therapy first, but a lot of us find that we need medication as well.  It can really help.  I'd only add one thing: if you take antidepressants and they work for you, stay on them at least 9 months (up to 18 months, and then withdraw slowly.  If you take them for years and years, as I did, your body may stop making the chemicals you need and you may have to stay on the meds.

If the doctor gives you benzodiazepine tranquillisers, try to take them only for a few weeks if possible.  It is easy to get hooked on them; although it is perfectly possible to get off them again, it is not a comfortable or an easy experience!

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up