Do you suffer physical illnesses from anxiety?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I really need some sort of comfort I guess. I've had a particularly awful day due to being anxious. 

The reason is, that I have been under very real pressure for about 5 years or more now. I'd say severe pressure. 

In reality things are a little better, but my anxiety has its own agenda. 

The real issue is, I know that anxiety can make one 'feel weird', 'ill, etc, but can you get real ailments from it. 

Like for example, lately I have had sore glands a lot. 

I absolutely hate going to the doctor since I have also a health phobia. 

I feel exhausted, I have aches and pains (I know this is a common one)  migrains etc., In a way, I know this is physco symptomatic (sp?) and as I type this, it seems obvious. Or, maybe not. 

The illness I feel are making me more anxious. Soon I have to go for tests for something. I am so terrified that currently I can't function. 

This is so, so hard. Any help, inspiration or identification, might help! Thank you. x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You describe exactly how I feel lately. The slightest dizzy spell throws me into anxiety for hours, days and even weeks. A pulled muscle in my back threw me for a loop. I have developed headaches from my anxiety too
  • Posted

Hi, I get anxious too. It does make you I'll, I suggest you seek advice from another they might suggest meds. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi all, anixity is a terrible thing and especially the physical side, I'm suffering so much at the moment with swalloing all the time and it's so uncomfortable I feel I can't breath as I'm so bloated , any body else have this x
    • Posted

Yes to the bloated. I have sore glands too. So swallowing is painful. I know it could be an illness but I did read somewhere that swollen glands can also be anxiety. (Excess cortisol). 
  • Posted

Hi Callianne,

Anxiety tends to cause physical symptoms because it a) causes you to over emphasis things especially illness or injury because it relies on you becoming more and more focused to thrive. B) anxiety can cause some ailments due to the body trying to cope with the stress your anxiety puts on it. The main reason CBT and relaxation are used to help anxiety sufferers is because you calm the mind and relax the body. You may have a sore throat because of an infection so seeing your GP or pharmacist is a good idea

• Posted

Hi, Callianne. The tests should reassure you that nothing is physically wrong with you, but anxiety can manifest itself in all different ways. I once even found a lump in my breast which was absolutely nothing, just anxiety. Nowadays I can get sick if I can't relax after I've eaten. Only Diazepam stops me being sick on those days.

Make the best of your visits to the professionals. They are highly paid and very capable. What's more, they've seen it all before - nothing is new to them. Be reassured by them. We've all paid into the NHS and we deserve the best from it. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.